Grooming Anxiety

Thread: Grooming Anxiety

Cal

DefaultGrooming Anxiety

Our 6 month old Madison is currently starting to shed a lot of hair, hence we are brushing her pretty regularly at the moment

Unfortunately this is something she pretty much hates and tries to spend the whole time biting your arms and wriggling away from you, I thought we had moved on from the whole biting phase so I'm dismayed that this activity is bringing it on again

She's pretty well behaved around the house and knows her basic commands well but grooming is a bit of an issue at the moment

Any help on how to improve her anxiety around this would be great!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Grooming Anxiety

Allie is one year old, and has this issue as well. Its not really bitting, but the constant trying to get away. We always placed the fact that she wasn't brushed at a really young age the problem. But it could be she actually doesn't like the feel of it, I dont know. My old dog Lucky would back up to ya and make you do it for 30 mins! Allie sees the brush come out and starts hiding. But the brush makes a HUGE difference. If we dont brush regularly we have to vaccum the entire house for like an hour to get up all the hair. Shannon and I are neat freaks when it comes to the loose hair... Its crazy where the hair can get!

What kind of brush are you using? Mine like the soft rubber kind but not the slicker/metal one. Maybe try the one that looks like a mitt with the rubber knobs on it - feels more like you are petting them. Also practice the stand and stay command and give treats and slowly brush her in between. Good luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

My first Lab LOVED being brushed with a wire brush.

My present Lab, Puff, hated it. She still doesn't like being brushed but is more tolerant (less wiggly and trying to escape) with the rubber ZoomGrrom (made by the Kong people).
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

1.* show her the brush & give treat, put the brush away, after some time has passed and at random increments - could be 5 minutes, 3 hours, a day, etc. show her the brush - give treat.* repeat until she is convinced that seeing the brush = getting a treat.

if she won't come near the brush, toss her the treat as step one.

2.* show her the brush and touch the brush to her fur & give treat.* repeat as described above until she is convince that the brush touching her fur = getting a treat.
    3.* show her the brush, touch the brush to her fur, and give one brush stroke & give treat.* repeat as described above.
    4.* show her the brush, touch the brush to her fur, and give 2 strokes & give treat...

see where i'm going with this?

it may or may not work, but could be worth a try.

good luck.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Kimba also bolts when he sees me grab the brush. I get a handful of kibble and let him slowly suckle them out of my hand as I brush with the other. I started brushing Kimba at 8 weeks, so I know he has been used to it from the beginning and still he hates it.
    I also brush Kimba while he eats bc NOTHING can keep him away from his food. He rushes a bit with eating when i do it, but if I can manage a little each time he eats, twice daily, then we get a lot done while he is distracted.