Training... he just doesn't listen!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Training... he just doesn't listen!

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultTraining... he just doesn't listen!

Everytime I tell him something, he tends to do the exact opposite. He doesn't remember specific commands like the difference between OFF and DOWN... he doesn't do the few hand signals I've trained him to do. He doesn't pay attention when I direct him. Even the trainer at puppy kindergarten can't get through to him. I fear he's completely untrainable!!! What am I going to do?

Did you think I was talking about Ender? Guess again...

ERIC is driving me up the wall! He decides that NOW he's going to so the whole "be a tree" thing when Ender pulls... but doesn't give Ender ANY verbal encouragement when he's doing something right just a stern "NO PULL." So I start doing the sing songy "good boy Ender... good job... walking so nicely... good boy" Eric says "he's gotta learn" when I try to tell Eric that he should praise Ender when he's doing something right. Then Eric will just "give up" and let Ender pull him down the hill. :

In the house it's "NO ENDER... NO ENDER"... "ENDER COME!" (when Ender has no intention of coming and isn't leashed so Eric has no way of enforcing "come") "LEAVE IT" "LEAVE IT" Absent all praise when Ender is doing exactly what Eric wants.

It's gotten to the point where I've decided I cannot even USE come as a command cause Eric says it so often that it's gotta fall on deaf labby ears by now.

I'm going to have to come up with a whole new language!
    ~Lindsay

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Training... he just doesn't listen!

The good news is that you don't necessarily need a new language. Ender will know that when you say something, you mean it. Eric will basically be a buddy to him My dogs are like that..I'm single and do all their training. Friends/family can tell my crew to do something and sometimes they will and sometimes they won't...they know other people can't "make them".

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Yeah, I think that rule about how dogs don't generalize will work in your favour with this one... Ender won't generalize that Come from YOU is the same as Come from Eric, so he won't disobey you the same as he will disobey Eric.

Hey, I think I wrote something that actually makes sense! ha!
    ~Jo & CoCo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

While I appreciate that and figured that Ender is allways going to respond better to me ('cause I'm more interested in training him)... Eric will still wonder why Ender doesn't listen to him and complain that Ender doesn't obey him especially when they are walking together. Also, I'm not here all the time so when those two are alone, they have to have SOME obedience rules to follow...
    ~Lindsay

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

You should call Cesar to come train Eric..lol ;D ;D

Sorry, I just couldn't resist..

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

WOW! We were so anal about Wesley's commands being consistent that we posted them on the refrigerator and asked visiting family/friends to use them as well.

Eric needs a prong collar!

Shannon and I are dealing with this a bit. Shannon's commands are very relaxed where mine are very firm, and I won't except anything but what I asked. When I work with Allie, I get results, and usually make progress, but when Shannon works with her, shes all like "Get back here!","I didn't give you a command yet silly" , or "Stop that you brat." It DRIVES ME CRAZY. I continually have to coach Shannon to stick to the commands that we are teaching her. On a walk, she might throw out "heal." We haven't even started on heal! Finally, I talked to my trainer because my coaching wasn't getting to her. I think my trainer is going to help me out in this issue, hopefully cut down on some bickering in our house as well. Thats what I pay her to do, train us to train our dog. So every Tuesday, Im starting to make Shannon the leader trainer while I sit back and watch. I want us to be unified or Allie wont respect Shannon's commands like she does mine. She knows I mean business when I give a command, but she also gets very rewarded for her efforts. Ill keep you posted on how we work it out, make sure to keep us posted about Eric.

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Okay, now I understand you... we went for a walk last night and DH had the leash... he let CoCo pull everywhere! : Grrrr... I even said as we were walking out the door "don't let her pull on her leash, stop as soon as she does it and wait until she stops pulling to walk forward"... but I also know that me telling him what to do every 2 seconds would be a royal pain for both of us, and it was a really short walk down to the lake so I let it be.... Next time, I take the leash.

I think that I am going to get him to do the majority of the handling in obedience class so that the trainer can correct him, rather than me! I know I'll make the effort to train at home, whereas DH hasn't done any training at all with CoCo other than doing commands I've already taught her.

Anyhow, just wanted you to know... I feel your pain! >
    ~Jo & CoCo

Dani is offline Senior Member

Lindsey, this is exactly what happened to me when I was living with 3 roommates when I first got Rider. They would encourage him to jump on them, do exactly everything opposite of what I asked them to do...and they didn't care. It took me forever to get Rider to stop jumping on people. When I moved out, Rider was 6 months old and we finally were making head way.

Patience is a virtue. My mother still tells him down (even when he is sitting right next to her--LOL).
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

I have the same problem with my hubby. He has no interest in helping me train Mocha so she dosn't listen to him. But then again he dosn't try to take her for a walk either so I don't have to worry about him runing my training. She knows I mean business and listens to me so that's what matters to me. If he wants her to listen to him he needs to talk to her in her language which is short commands that I've taught her. He has gotten better and will not let her jump on him most of the time and he will make her sit for petting when he gets home.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast