Training...he just gets soooo excited
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training...he just gets soooo excited

DefaultTraining...he just gets soooo excited

We have now started our 3rd(!!) training class. And if anything it seems Tasman is getting worse... :

He just gets sooo excited when he sees the other dogs at the class he starts lunging and barking at the other dogs.

So what do you guys think; just a puppy it will get better or is there anything I can do to get him to
    be a tiny wee bit more concentrated. I usually take him for a 20minute walk on the beach so he
    has a little less energy but sometimes I feel it just does not make a difference.

He is 4 months old today...

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Training...he just gets soooo excited

Rocksy (4.5 months) is exactly the same, no matter what we do she is like a Tasmanian Devil at training class (maybe that's what you should have called Tasman!).
    She met a big husky out walking the other day, and kept lunging up at it. The husky just stood its ground, clearly thinking: "Get out of my face," but Rocksy would not take no for an answer.
    I was trying to make her sit, the husky's owner was stood there laughing, and the husky just sat there looking distinctly unimpressed.

It's very easy to lose heart when this is happening, I just think she is so stupid to be lunging at dogs much bigger than her. I didn't do that when I was a kid, so why does she??

I know it's just a bit frustrating sometimes... he does really well in the house but add disctractions and
    everybody can have a laugh. Oh well I guess we have time enough to get there..

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

1. simply walking is NOT eniogh exercise for a dog this age, you haven't even scratched the surface of that 'edge' you need to take off.
    2. basically, classes at this age are much more about You learning to get & keep his attention. do you use special treats that he loves, that he Only sees at the class? do you use that special 'squeaky voice' so he knows it's all about HIM? are you Fast Fast Fast with rewards for him even glancing at you when there are distractions around? do you let him meet & greet when you first get there so he can 'get over it'?
    i;m pretty sure he's quite typical for his age, what does the instructor say? [and has he/she given you the above tips? because they're pretty basic, i would expect them to give you a print-out about them!]

Kathryn Guest

Dakota is 4 months old today also!
    She to has/had trouble about being to excited about classes and other dogs. but as the class went on there were less and less people who showed up and after she was able to meet each one of the dogs before class she did MUCH better.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

As usual, QOTD nailed it. 20 minutes of walking isn't going to cut it. Before classes I would take Sami out for a round of off-leash hiking through the woods (where she does lots of running) or 20 - 30 minutes of playing fetch with her soccer ball where she was all-out running. Both of those definitely help take the edge off. Would it be possible to arranage a playdate for 30 minutes before class? That would help too.

I also use the Natural Balance dog food rolls for training class. It doesn't take much but she is absolutely crazy for them.

Just remember that puppy class is about teaching you how to teach them. I wouldn't worry that your puppy doesn't "get it" in class or seems distracted. Just keep working with him faithfully at home and they'll pick it up.

Thanks for all the advise! I though that 15min would be long enough I am/was afraid I was going to make him too tired,
    but maybe that's what you want. I allways use kibble for training but maybe a special treat would be lots better, I will give that a
    try too!
    Would you only use those special treats in class or also for training at home? I was also thinking of buying a special lead and collar
    for training so he knows we are serious now, what do you think?

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tasmans Mom
    Thanks for all the advise! I though that 15min would be long enough I am/was afraid I was going to make him too tired,
    but maybe that's what you want. I allways use kibble for training but maybe a special treat would be lots better, I will give that a
    try too!
    Would you only use those special treats in class or also for training at home? I was also thinking of buying a special lead and collar
    for training so he knows we are serious now, what do you think?
    Regarding whether Tasman would be too tired or not -- I think it depends on the dog. I would say to up the exercise and see what happens. You can always cut back, if it turns out to be too much. I found that no matter how tired Sami was, she always perked up for class and the opportunity to pounce on a pal!

One other thing you might want to teach is "no visit", and apply that to the other dogs. I have to use that alot with Sami in class. :

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

One thing our trainer instructed was to bring chewy yummy/smelly treats that can be broken up into pieces the size of 1/4 to 1/3 of the dogs eye, and to not feed dinner (or a smaller dinner) so that they are very attentive to treats!

Also, we're clicker training, so we're giving CoCo treats like crazy at the moment in order to condition her to the clicker... its Click N' Treat... so she's quickly learning to pay attention to me when I have that clicker out!
    ~Jo & CoCo

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I agree 100% with the advice QOTD and That'sMyGirl gave you..

When Puff was about that age, at her first class she was WILD and EXCITED.

I made sure before the next class that she had her usual morning exercise (running offleash and retrieving in a nature preserve) as well as a special 20-30 minute session of the same immediately before the class.. She was still a bit wild and excited but not as much as before; it helped a lot.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast