Is this related to teething or is it something else

Thread: Is this related to teething or is it something else

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultIs this related to teething or is it something else

Buck has been just walking up to me for no reason and just opening up his mouth and chomping down on my arms. It's not a hard bite. He kinda like wraps his mouth around my arm...I never let him keep his mouth on me like that long enough to find out what he will do next. He doesn't break skin or hurt me when he does this. I just pull back yell NO BITE and hold his snout but then sometimes he gets all sorts of antsy and then charges at me and tries to grab me again! This is when I usually just hold him and flip him and hold him that way till he stops squirming.
    Another thing he also does is...he picks up a toy walks over to me and rams his snout into me with the toy still in his mouth and then tries to grab my arm or leg or whatever along with the toy. This usually hurts me quite a bit since he end up pinching me with his sharp little front teeth. I again repeat the same thing I mentioned above.
    The trainer we go to every week makes a home visit as part of the 8 week course. She will come by and watch all this so she can better tell me what's going on. He never does anything like it when he's in class so it's really hard to tell. But till she gets here I was just wondering if anyone else had a puppy who did this?

He doesn't even have to be excited or riled up when he does this. He'll wake up from a nap come out of his crate and try to chew on my arm...
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Is this related to teething or is it something else

I have to add...he is otherwise fairly obediant. For example I place his food dish down infront of him in his crate but he does not eat it till I tell him to. He will sit there drooling away staring at the food and then at me waiting for me to say the word. Same with when I refill his water bowl. The water bowl was the whole reason I started to do this because he would charge at it before I would put it down and water would end up everywhere.
    He also does not walk out the door before I tell him to.
    Even in the middle of him butt tucking and going insane if I say SIT! or DOWN! he will do it.
    Ask him to go to his "home" (his crate) he will do it regardless of how much fun he is having.
    He will sit and wait for me to clean his paws, if he's been running around in mud, when he is asked to etc etc.
    These things make me think that well maybe he does look at me as some kind of leader but then he goes and tries to gnaw on my arm...arty (37

I don't know, I think he likes you!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

He's demanding attention. Play with me NOW!

How much exercise is he getting? (Physical and mental).

Hmm we walk 30-40 mins everyday. He usually stops on his own and gets tired at which point we just head home. I don't go too far from home we just walk the same short loop several times. Then once back in the yard he will lay down and chew on a toy and then it's back to I want to play. So we play fetch or just run around the yard. Indoors he plays with his toys, kongs etc etc. During all this play I go over commands. Sit, Stay, Down, come etc etc. I am trying to teach him how to find things. Thing is he spends a lot of his time in his crate during the day when I am at work. 4-11 in the evening is fun times for him. When he goes to his crate at 11 he just falls asleep right away and then wakes up for the day at 5:30.

But yeah the whole mouthing thing is just his way of trying to get my attention I am beginning to think. Yesterday or so I have noticed he's been just nudging me with his nose more than trying to gnaw my arm. I definitely prefer the nose nudge over mouthing me hehe

JanCarkner Guest

I had a nose-nudging golden, and I eventually realized it was her being bossy to me (pet me pet me!) Don't let it get out of hand, as it is a test to your alpha-hood .. also it can result in spilled coffee. I loved my golden and miss her terribly, but she was one bossy girl! She had the most gentle mouth and never, even as a puppy, bit or chewed -- just carried stuff around. It's interesting now to have a lab, and to see the mouthing issues they all seem to have!

oh yeah they are definitely quite mouthy! I have only been around golden retrievers...and never came across one that was mouthy. But this little guy is mouthy and loooovvveeesss to sit anywhere I am. hehe

You gave me a good laugh. Allie will pick up a toy wanting to play and will ram us right in the back side with the toy in her mouth, at 65 pounds it almost knocks you over! We haven't addressed it because its not a huge deal to us, its more funny than anything. Allie is the type of dog who doesn't know her own speed. She will return a ball and run full speed into you. You would think she would learn from this, but every now and then she runs full speed into me. Its like shes out of control or cant stop quick enough...

Im sure I didn't help much, but I had to comment...

I think it's just him trying to get your attention. Mocha does the nose nudge with her toys if she wants to play.