How much water???

Thread: How much water???

DefaultHow much water???

Chance is now 15 weeks old and i was wondering how much water a 27lb. puppy should have................rigthnow we are having a problem with him peeing all the time and now not making it to the door before peeing in the house.

We took him to the vet today about this problem and he is on meds for a bladder infection.

AND they are testing him for diabetes.....which I have to wait until tue. to get results, not happy about this.

Any help would be great!!! Thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How much water???

I've heard you really shouldn't restrict access to water 'cept at night when potty training. Since he has a UTI, I guess I would go by the vet's recommendation. Can you give them a call?
    ~Lindsay

Well, if he has a bladder infection, you probably shouldn't restrict water at all. Let him have what he wants. I know, if he has to pee all the time that will be tiring. Is the weather nice where you are? Can you spend most of the weekend outside?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We aren't restricting his water........................he is drinking between 9 and 12 cups (3 or 4 bowls) of water a day. Yeah lots of peeing, every 10mins. For this weekend we will be at the lake everyday so he can pee all he wants

P.S. vet just called, no diabetes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chance
    P.S. vet just called, no diabetes!!!
    YAY!!! So just UTI then. ;D
    ~Lindsay

Yeah just the UTI so far............with our luck, who knows what will happen next. Sorry i never got back to your PM Ender. We still should plan on getting our pups together to play one of these days.

Oh don't worry about the PM... life gets crazy for us all. Lemme know if/when you do want to get the pups together ;D
    ~Lindsay

With a pup with a UTI I would never think of restricting water even long after it is gone. Water flushes the system and helps keep the UTI's away. In fact if you were restricting water before it might have caused the UTI at least it does in humans.

Now I will say I am an Arizonian with the opinion that you never ever ever restrict water. Because of our heat constant drinking is a necessity. In fact Cinnamon has a water bowl in the bedroom and has had one ever since she was big enough to jump up and down off the bed. I would rather get up with her once in the night to pit stop then to take the chance on dehydrating her. I used to take her out about once a night until she was about 14 months. Now she sleeps through with no problems.

I work for a hopsital and seen many people with problems because they failed to drink and my vet tells me this happens to animals also. Unlimited water is one of the things they tell all new pet owners. I know most of the country doesn't get our heat but with the humidity lack of water will also take it's toll.

I would just plan on lots of pit stops for the next few days. The nice thing about UTI's is once the medicine kicks in within a day or two it takes care of the constanty got go got go got go go go.

Thank God!!