Playing with other dogs

Thread: Playing with other dogs

DefaultPlaying with other dogs

Adama is a really sweet dog and loves dogs, but she doesn't seem to pick up on signals other dogs give when they are tired of playing. When we go to the park to play with the puppies from our neighborhood, she keeps jumping all over them... even if they growl or bark and back away! It seems like she's just so anxious to play that she's oblivious to the fact that they might not want to. I don't know how to teach her to lay off- I've tried walking her for a good bit before taking her in to play, and even "time-out" where I'll leash her and walk away until I think she's calmed down, but when I let her go again she just flies back up to the dogs and does it all over. Help! What can I do??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Playing with other dogs

I have the same problem!!! I don't know what to do, i feel like people look at me like, "learn how to control you dog..." When other dogs are around he just wants to play and jump around.....not sure what to do.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Start slow. You're expecting good behavior when she's surrounded by puppies from the neighborhood -- that's an awful lot of stimulus for any dog!

Can you find someone to play 1:1 with, under controlled circumstances like a fenced yard? You're better able to monitor the reactions and guide the play if it gets too roughousy. Then expand the playgroup gradually..... THEN tackle the dog park.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We do the 1:1 playtime, too... but it's the same situation except worse because then there's only one other dog for her to focus her energy on. Should I keep leashing her and walking away for a time out? She has been a quick learner in all other areas, but this doesn't seem to be catching on. :-[

Allie was like that, and a few dogs really let her know play time was over, by snapping at her, she then figured it out. Growling was not enough for Allie to see the signs of 'im tired, leave me alone." Now that shes older, she understands the growls to be im tired, so the other dogs dont have to snap at her anymore.

I try to stay hands off with dog to dog signals, so she will learn the language of other dogs. I want her to understand which dogs dont want interaction vs which ones are dying for it. The only time I step in is I think they are actually fighting, which has never occured. Usually a heavy growl is all she needs now.

Sometimes we do get our friends dogs over and they refuse to stop playing. They get so tired that they start getting overly aggressive, when that time comes, we split em up and crate em for a nap.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

You can also use a SETTLE command or enforce a healthy DOWNSTAY!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I agree with brianttu's comments

Unless there's blood, I think dogs are usually better able to communicate the important messages to each other.

By you trying to read dog minds and wishes and act on them, you may deprive your dog from learning to "listen" to other dogs as well as also depriving other dogs from learning how to properly express themselves.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748