Chewing paper

Thread: Chewing paper

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultChewing paper

Has anyone else had the problem with their pup chewing paper, and I mean any paper she can get her teeth on. Toilet paper, newspaper, papertowels etc. I've had other pup's, but this is my first lab since my childhood, and have never had such an issue with this. I know she is just playing, and we really not to make a big deal over it, but since she wants to be with us "everywhere" it makes it a little difficult when she goes after "the paper"lol. Just wanted to know if this is typical, and any suggestions to help would be appreciated- Thank's Sammi's mom

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Chewing paper

I would never let a pup chew ANYTHING that is not a dog toy. I can't stress this enough. I have just had a dog of mine go through surgery for removal of a blockage. Not a nice experience for me or him. He'll be out of action for nearly a month before we can get back to normal.

ALL Lab puppies chew and love to get their teeth on everything. You have to puppy proof your house and provide your pup with lots of toys. Kongs and Nylabones are ideal. The manic chewing will stop eventually but you always have to be vigilant with a Lab no matter what the age.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Do you mean like this?

or this?

Of course Labs love to chew ... and shred! But Trickster gave you sage advice ... puppy proof and be vigilant (probably forever!).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Don't get me wrong we are very vigilant it not letting her chew thing's she shouldn't. But it just seem's like something that she favor's. Yep the house is puppy proofed, but with these very smart dog's, it seem's they will obtain that which they desire! lol- Being empty nesters, I told my husband it's like having a 2 yr. in the house again. But it is worth every min. she is such a joy. Thank's for the reply's sammi's mom

Miles eats everything he can get in his mouth which means when he is up and out of his crate there is no relaxing for me! Paper not excluded although shoes and slippers seem to be favorite. Oh, and my carpet loops which is why my family room floor is covered in blankets!

Quote Originally Posted by dipete
    Don't get me wrong we are very vigilant it not letting her chew thing's she shouldn't. But it just seem's like something that she favor's. Yep the house is puppy proofed, but with these very smart dog's, it seem's they will obtain that which they desire! lol- Being empty nesters, I told my husband it's like having a 2 yr. in the house again. But it is worth every min. she is such a joy. Thank's for the reply's sammi's mom
    Don't feel bad about it. Labs will somehow find stuff to chew from out of nowhere.

I wouldn't let her go into the bathroom with you though - they do have to have limits, and if you let her follow you everywhere she will expect it always. Rocksy isn't allowed in the bedroom (anymore) or the bathroom - and she's cool with it. She'll hang around in the vicinity until we come out (obviously not at night).

fburke is offline Senior Member

From other post I have read it sounds like Labs chew pretty much everything lots of papers laying around most houses I have small children so I have drawings on my refrigerator loose paper around for coloring and oh yes Willow’s favorite…..TOLIATE PAPER!!

Just have to police your house and make sure she can’t get to any of it and if she does take it away so she don’t eat it.

Rocky is now 18 weeks and I had a real problem with him eating paper/Kleenex on our walks. He would sort of hoover the paper up into his mouth rather than picking it up. ??? Now he is much better since he's learned "leave it" and "drop it". He still has some lapses but generally he is much better.