Fun Tricks
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fun Tricks

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultFun Tricks

Ok... so I realized the other day that I haven't taught Ender any "cool" tricks 'cause I've been so focused on proper maners... down was tough... staying is still a little rough... meanwhile trying to pair it with hand signals (I'm sooo envious of this one guy we see in the park all the time that has all these cool hand signals and a dog that does them INSTANTLY)

Any tips on what to teach him and how? (also if you have a cool hand signal to put with it lemme know)

My list so far:

Give Paw (how do you teach this?)
    Roll over (got a method from the trainer)
    Go in a circle (how do you teach this?)
    ~Lindsay

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Fun Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by Ender's Mom
    Go in a circle (how do you teach this?)
    Stick a treat on his tail. ;D ;D

ceset Guest

I read somewhere that you can teach "spin" - which I think is what you mean by "go in a circle" with a clicker and treats. When your dog is standing looking at you, you use a treat to entice him to turn his head a quarter of the way around hte circle. Click and treat. Once he gets this lure to the halfway point and click and treat. Then, once he's got this down go all the way around, click at the halfway point, but don't treat until all the way around. I haven't tried this but I read it in a lab training magazine (the above is from memory so may not be 100% correct!).

We play "hide and seek" and "find-it" with Cody, they aren't "tricks" but both are fun and really tire him out!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

I read in a book once how to teach roll over and Maggie picked that up quick. Now with Dakota thats the only thing she will do, is roll over. We are working on shaking hands but that hasn't clicked yet.
    Its so funny to try and watch Maggie and Dakota both try and roll over.
    Good luck!

I taught Larry how to shake in about 30 minutes. All it took was getting him to sit in front of me, and I would take his paw with one hand and pump it up and down, while saying shake the whole time.

"Shake" (take paw) "Shake....shake...shaaaake" (all while holding paw)

Then I'd give him a cookie and praise him. After 10 mins or so I started tapping the back of his paw while saying "shake" so he'd get the idea for lifting the paw on his own.

I also would do some intermixed in there without the treats, just so he didn't get too greedy.

Oh, and I used pieces of his kibble instead of cookies, so he wouldn't be too terribly fat.

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

I think "sit up" is the cutest trick a dog can do. I think "no speak" is the most practical.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

Oh- I forgot about roll over.

This one definitely took a little longer than 30 minutes. *I spent probably a half hour on the first run, then took a break and later on came back and did it more. *It took several practices over 2 days or so to really get it down.

I started "roll over" from a down. *I would tell him down, then I would crouch down next to him and say "rooooooolll over!" and take his paws and flop him to the other side. *This was pretty much repeated over and over.

After a little while I'd just give him a little nudge while saying "rolllllllll over!". * I also did this twirly hand motion in a circle, just so he wasn't the only one looking ridiculous. *

Now, anytime you have something he wants he'll do all of his tricks to get it. *Sit/down/shake are all one huge lunge, followed quickly by roll over. *Haha

How about "high 5". After Tucker started shaking, we started with high 5; that's usually what we do, instead of shaking.

We just got down on the floor at his level, bent an arm up from the elbow, holding a palm toward him, and he'd smack his paw into the palm. We treated when he did it. You could try raising his paw up to your palm.

Now he does it if we're standing or sitting. We say "high 5", or just give the palm up (like a stay/wait) hand signal.

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

It's pretty to teach "spin" (both clockwise and counterclockwise) just by luring it, and then abstracting it to a circle with your finger.

"Take a bow"
    "Wave"

Here's a huge list; unfortunately, they don't explain how to teach any of these things!

http://www.clickersolutions.com/arti...02c/tricks.htm

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I've taught mine to jump over my leg on command. They can run up from any distance and literally leap 6ft in the air over anything. This always impresses people --kids especially! its also great for a frisbee routine. I don't play frisbee with my Labs much, but it is Trick's (GSD/Border Collie mix) FAVORITE game and damn that dog can jump!!

I would never recommend jumping exercises for a dog under 18 months though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast