Lyme Disease Vaccine?

Thread: Lyme Disease Vaccine?

ceset Guest

DefaultLyme Disease Vaccine?

Hi. Do people have thoughts about the lyme disease vaccine for dogs? Should I get Cody vaccinated? We live in Boston, MA but spend a lot of time hiking, etc. all over New England in the summer. This weekend we were at a crew race and playing around in the woods by the lake. I came home with two ticks on my leg and started to freak out that Cody may have some too. I checked him as best I could and he is up to date on flea/tick control (K-9 Advantix applied last week). Do you all recommend the lyme disease vaccine in addition to a flea/tick control plus reasonable attempts to check for ticks?

We're going up to the White Mountains this weekend and would like to get it done before we go if he needs it...

Cody is 17 weeks old today.

Thanks!
    Christine

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Lyme Disease Vaccine?

since it takes approx. 24--some say 36--hours of the tick actually being attached/sucking blood to transmit disease, and the vaccine is not totally effective, AND can cause false test results, i do not feel it is a 'must'.
    hubby was a participant in the double-blind studies for the human version, results were also so poor that it never made it to market....
    be vigilant in removal, use the killers/repellents your vet recommends, be aware of subtle changes in your dog's behavior that might make you want to ask for a Lyme test.
    one thing to keep in mind is, ticks now carry a host of horrid diseases, most of which i cannot spell, and the Lyme vaccine, as far as i know, does NOT protect against any of them, so you might want to ask your vet for a list of various symptoms. *sigh*

labby is offline Senior Member

I will never give my dogs that vaccine. Way too many problems with it.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Charlie is on the vaccine. I lost my last dog to Lymes complications and she was only 6 years old. she had no symptoms until her kidneys failed and then tested positive for Lyme. The Vet told me that for some reason Lab/lab mixes are prone to kidney issues with Lyme. Right after that I met another person who had the same thing happen. We always used Frontline as well.

So, Charlie had the shots and had his booster this year and we continue to use frontline and check him as well.

Miles is on Frontline which is supposed to protect from fleas AND ticks.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MilesMom
    Miles is on Frontline which is supposed to protect from fleas AND ticks.*
    MilesMom -- Frontline kills ticks within 48 hours. Even with Frontline, there is definitely a window of opportunity for a dog to contract Lyme. My neighbor's dog, faithfully on Frontline every month year round, is currently undergoing treatment. So don't count on Frontline to protect your dog. Make sure, if you live in a high risk area to do a tick check at least once a day. The deer ticks are extremely small and are very difficult to spot.

Hmm. Okay. I do a body check each day and luckily, being yellow, I hope they are easier to spot.