aggression: Advice needed

Thread: aggression: Advice needed

Defaultaggression: Advice needed

Rusty our 2yo cm bit our neighbors dog last night. Kioni was in the street on a flexi lead, nearing our driveway, and I guess Rusty thought she had gotton too close and he ran into the street and bit her on the back.. He left a pretty decent size mark, they took her to the vet. I told them I would pay the vet bills, I don't think she required stiches or anything, but they were only gone 30min or so with her and they went straight inside there house and never filled me in.

I feel terrible. I know how I would feel if it were my dog who had gotton bitten. My concern is, what are the steps now. Is Rusty going to be in trouble? What else should I do. We have an invisible fence (which I have always know is not 100% effective) I am goping to Home Depot today to order my vinyl fence that we have been putting off, also Rusty is going to stay with the inlaws at least for a couple opf days, if not until the fence is up. I really don't know what else to do. I feel terrible and will not allow this to happen again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: aggression: Advice needed

Don't know if you're in the states or international, but in the states:

A bite report will be filed. Your dog will be 'quarantined', meaning not allowed outside for anything other than potty for, I think, a week. And all outside contact will need to be on a leash.

You'll get a notice in the mail telling you what to do. They'll check the other dog for raibies etc. You'll have to respond to the notice w/his med record. If your dog has been to obed training or has any obed titles, not a bad idea to put copies in w/your response, all the better to position it as an accident and not a truly aggressive dog.

Is Rusty in obed training? May not be a bad idea. Is he intact? Maybe a time to end that situtation, too. And, yes, attend to that electric fence PRONTO. If it had been a child bitten, things would have been much worse. And if Rusty had run to the street and been hit, you'd be completely bereft right now.

A bite record doesn't mean the end of your dog. But it does mean you've got to step up vigilance to a whole new level. I would be cautious from now on about just about every interaction Rusty has -- which may mean kids in your house or your decision to ever have another dog.

dweck; I think that's only if they bite a human. I've taken dogs in with bite wounds before (bitten by other dogs) and no questions asked. I think the law only applies if they bite a human.
    I'd approach the neighbors and ask how their dog is doing and let them know how sorry you are, etc.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

A dog that bites another dog must NEVER be unrestrained while outside. The only time your dog should be loose is in your FENCED back yard. If, for whatever reason, you need take him into your front yard or on a walk or whatever he should be on a leash at all times. A dog that bites once is very capable of doing it again.

Is this the first time he has bitten/shown aggression towards another dog? regardless, you should contact a trainer or behaviorist. It is impossible for people to advice you how to 'cure' your dog over the internet. A dog that bites once will never be 100% safe/reliable so it is more a case of management (removing objects the trigger the aggression, keeping him under control, etc.) and doing your best to figure out why he developed these problems in the first place.

We are in the states and Rusty is fixed. He has never bitten before. He was in school until he was 1 1/2 and is CGC certified. He never showed any signs of aggression towards other dogs until we got Lucy 18mo yf. He has always been controllable until last night. He ran up bit her, and then ran back into the yard. He knew he was in trouble.

I will not let him out unrestrained again. They are never let out unsupervised, which is a good thing, or things may have been a lot worse. Just another example of why invisable fences are not always that great.

I just feel so bad for the other dog. Rusty is not mean, I think he thought he was protecting his turf. Kioni was barking at him and approaching our yard. That is no excuse for his behavior though, I thought he has been trained well enough to know that behavior is unacceptable.