Training for a proper retrieve

Thread: Training for a proper retrieve

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultTraining for a proper retrieve

I need to teach Rocky that when we play "fetch" he is to RETURN to me with the ball (so far he's great at going to GET the ball which is a good first step!).

This is the only method to train I can think of, is it correct?
    - Get a long tie out
    - throw the ball
    - call him to me (guess thsi works on recall at the same time)
    - entice him by pulling him to me
    - treat when he's by my side

When at the park I do not say "come" or even try to teach anything because he's not leashed so I cannot reinforce. Is that ok? To let him play his game at the pakr and work on the above technique at home?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Training for a proper retrieve

First of all... I wish Eric would catch on that he should not tell Ender to "come" when he has no way of enforcing that command much less when given at a time Ender clearly does not WANT to come.

The way I taught Ender to retrieve is give HUGE praise to him when he'd do it correctly. And I would NOT go out to get the toy cept maybe later I'd casually walk over to it (after doing something else with him for a while).

Start out small... I used a hallway to "teach"' Ender in the begining 'cause there was nowhere for him to go but back to me with the toy.

Allways keep it fun and stop with him wanting more.

Also, on the recall command when off leash... right now I wait for Ender to be running towards me and I make it a point to say "cOME HERE!!! GOOD BOY!" but only when he's allready running towards me. I also grab his collar once he gets to me and let it go pretty quickly. Want him to know that coming to me WILL mean I put my hands on him but doesn't mean "end of play".

This is working pretty well so far as he is a natural at people pleasing.
    ~Lindsay

DefaultRe: Training for a proper retrieve

Quote Originally Posted by Ender's Mom
    Start out small... I used a hallway to "teach"' Ender in the begining 'cause there was nowhere for him to go but back to me with the toy.
    I would throw the ball, he would run really fast to it and come running back to me but without the ball....lol*

So I also use a hallway to teach him and it works. When he gets the ball I tell him to "bring it here" and to "drop it" then I*praise him for listening to ME!!!* ;D