Jumping up to greet

Thread: Jumping up to greet

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultJumping up to greet

I am working on the whole no Jump to greet people with Buck. We are making slow but steady progress. I don't get many visitors at home and the weather has been horrible lately to take him out on walks so we can run into strangers. Therefore, practice is limited.
    My question though is...when I come back from work or walk in the door Buck trots over to me right away tail wagging (not toofast not too slow) and his head and shoulders kind of hunched over. He doesn't jump on me or anything. He comes over shoves his head into my legs circles me and is affectionate. But if a visitors comes to the door he is all about charging full speed ahead and giving them a boisterous greeting! I keep him on his leash or hold his collar if visitors come so I can keep him planted on all four paws.
    He jumps up to greet my brother and attempts it with my father. My mom he does it maybe once in a while.
    How come he greets me the way he does and others differently?
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Jumping up to greet

He knows you.

And you've trained him as to how to greet you.

hmm now if only I could get him to greet other people like that we'd be all set!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Keep at it -- Keep telling him/showing him what your expectations are. Wesley had a big issue w/the doorbell, which would just send him into a flurry of excitement. We got neighbors, family members, the mailman (!) to help us by ringing and coming in, w/him on the leash to be guided into the proper response.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I would have your brother and dad completely ignore him until he has "four on the floor". That means do not acknowledge him in any way -- no eye contact, no saying his name, and don't even say "off" . Once he is on all fours they can greet him. If he starts to jump at this point, have them stand up straight and repeat the process.

We started this with Sami the day she came home and now she doesn't jump on anyone. It was the number 1 thing I wanted her to learn quickly because my SU and I have parents that are getting on up there in years and we were afraid she would knock them over. It only took a month or two for her to get the message. She went through a stage of trying it again around maybe 6 months of age, but it passed really quickly.

yeah I have been doing that as well. But it's so much harder to train people than pups! :-[
    Especially a teenager (brother)who likes to ignore everything that's said to him just for the sake of ignoring grrr!
    Persistance on my part will hopefully prevail!

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Buckyball
    yeah I have been doing that as well. But it's so much harder to train people than pups!* :-[
    Especially a teenager (brother)who likes to ignore everything that's said to him just for the sake of ignoring grrr!
    Persistance on my part will hopefully prevail!
    As the parent of a teenager, I understand ;D Just remind your brother that what he encourages now ... is what he's gonna have to live with when Buck is 80 lbs. It won't be quite so cute then.

I've had friends not be helpful with that either. It's kind of frustrating but I guess it's my job to train Miles, not theirs.

This is a big issue with Riley. It has been from day one. We have tried the sit/stay, but she breaks it all the time. It is hard to make visitors wait too.

We have did the approach of ignoring. I found the reinforcing the behavior by saying off was a bad thing. I gave her one command sit. If she sits, she gets a pet and praise. If not, we keep moving. It is amazing that eventually her butt is hitting the ground.

It is tough for visitors, but once that 65 lbs hits them. They usually listen the next time around. Not that it is ever acceptable for Riley to jump, but my mother in law is the worst offender.

yeah unfortunately it's people who make it harder and as Mile's mom said...it's the puppy owner's job to train and not other peoples...so I guess we just have to suck it up and keep teaching them and not give up....