Outside Time

Thread: Outside Time

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultOutside Time

When someone is outside with Willow while she is on her runner she is fine but as soon as you’re out of site in the house she wines like she is being tortured.

Like the first few nights in her crate will she eventually stop this and enjoy her time out side?

My old dog did this too but I think I gave into hem so he would not stay outside unless someone was with him.

It frustrating because when my wife is trying to clean the house or has elderly no dog people over it would be nice to put her outside instead of having to confine her to a room or her crate.

She has a nice area to roam around in, I would think she wouldn’t mind being outside for a shot time on her own.

Any experience with this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Outside Time

I don't know if she will get used to it or not. My dog is 2 and follows me everywhere. She is ok outside for no more than 5 min alone without sitting by the door waiting to come in. She wants to be with you always.
    Plus if she is out alone and bored, who knows what she could get into.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

I bet that Willow would rather be crated inside and near the family than outside roaming free alone. Labs... they ARE people dogs and do best to be around people.
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

When mine was small, last year, he followed me everywhere outside. We were always outside with him. We slowly started letting him be outside for 5-10 min. at a time, by himself.

Mine's now 15 mos., and he's been going outside everyday by himself for different periods of time since winter. If I have things to do, I'll check on him every 5-10 min., but he's always around. He loves being outside. He'll lay on the deck, by the front door, or in the yard (he likes to watch everything going on, and listen to everything); or wander in a nearby field.

He'll stay out for an hour or longer by himself, if it's warm and sunny. I'll go out and play with him, throw balls or whatever, but then if I come back in, he'll either come in, or stay out awhile longer if he wants.

I take it yours is pretty young. Maybe as time goes by, he'll like being outside more by himself.

You never know, they are all different. Bailey, hates to be outside by himself. He'll sit by the door until you let him in and if he gets impatient, he barks.

How old is Willow?* From your pictures she looks very young to be left outside by herself.* It's natural for a puppy to want to stay close to the pack.* If it was in the wild, it would be prey for other animals so naturally it will seek the security of the pack.* In this case, the pack is you and your wife.* Crating is a much better option when you can't devote 100% of your attention to her.* When she gets older she may decide she likes being outside by herself but not all dogs are like that.* Murray does not like to be outside unless I'm out there.* He runs out to potty and immediately runs back in.* My last foster loved to be outside and would just bask in the sun and roll in the grass.* Essy is kind of in between.* She'll go outside and mill around for awhile but always ends up back inside under my feet.

fburke is offline Senior Member

Willow is 10 weeks old…don’t get me wrong I’m not looking to stick her outside and leave her there. Or tie her to a tree and forget she’s there…

I’m just talking about a few times a week that my wife has her mom over or is cleaning the house.

I have a nice yard and have provided a runner for her (too young to be left off leash) I would be happy if she just lounged on the deck or rolled in the grass. She has plenty of space to do so even with the runner.

I have even put a nice bowl of water out for her to drink at her leisure.

I am just asking if she’ll adjust as the whining in the crate did or is it a lost cause because of the temperament of labs to be up your a*s all the time … ;D

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fburke
    Willow is 10 weeks old…don’t get me wrong I’m not looking to stick her outside and leave her there. Or tie her to a tree and forget she’s there…

I’m just talking about a few times a week that my wife has her mom over or is cleaning the house.

I have a nice yard and have provided a runner for her (too young to be left off leash) I would be happy if she just lounged on the deck or rolled in the grass. She has plenty of space to do so even with the runner.

I have even put a nice bowl of water out for her to drink at her leisure.

I am just asking if she’ll adjust as the whining in the crate did or is it a lost cause because of the temperament of labs to be up your a*s all the time … ;D
    Sami was never outside alone at 10 weeks of age. But I can tell you that at 10 months she loves to be outside - whether with us or alone. She'll happily chase birds, squirrels and bunnies ... or tear up plants, trim the hedges, rip out the flowers, and dig holes to China. :

She'd stay outside a long time if we'd let her -- we just don't because we're really not looking to have the yard re-landscaped. ;D

We're doing the same thing with Bailey & at first she didn't like it too much either, but she's been getting better, not as much whining or barking. We're doing it for the same thing, when you're cleaning or such. I want to have her eventually get used to it so we can let her outside off the leash, but of course she's too little now.