Puppy Vaginitis

Thread: Puppy Vaginitis

DefaultPuppy Vaginitis

Hello all,
    We are having trouble with "puppy vaginitis"* Our beloved little Lacey has had it a few times now and we are in the process of changing vets as he just keeps prescribing Clavomox and it works for a while then comes back.* He in our minds does not have much expericence working with labs, so we are looking for another vet.* Any who anyone have anything else we can be doing.* I have heard of giving her some regular yogurt in her food but thought I would run it by you folks as you are a great wealth of knowledge.* We are trying to clean her after her bathroom breaks but as some of you know remembering can be tricky.* Any advice would be greatly appreciated.* *Thank you all in advance.*

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Puppy Vaginitis

Puppy vaginitis is commonly seen in prepuberal bitches and usually resolves at the first heat.

I agree with this statement from LSU Vet School.

Dr Hutchinson: Question: What is the treatment for puppy vaginitis & does it lead to problems later in breeding?

Dr. Hutch:

Puppy vaginitis is a NORMAL mucous production in young bitches before their first heat cycle. The total treatment is warm water on a cotton ball and wipe. These bitches DO NOT need to be on antibiotics. It does NOT lead to infertility and it does NOT make them prone to pyometritis. It is not an infection at all. Usually it's worse when the humidity is high.

Our Skye has had this problem too; our vet told us that it will be less common once she goes into her first heat. Until then we just try to wipe her with warm water after she goes out....good luck. She is only 10 months old so will have to wait and see if once she goes thru her first cycle she is "cured".

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Sami has had it. It was not treated w/ antibiotics. And my vet also said that it will be cleared up by going through 1 heat cycle before spaying (which we are doing anyway since she has a pretty inverted vulva).