Puppy barking/whining in kennel in pickup

Thread: Puppy barking/whining in kennel in pickup

DefaultPuppy barking/whining in kennel in pickup

Hi Everyone,
    First time poster. I have an 8 week old YLM who barks and whines when he is in his kennel and in the back of the pickup during travel. It's the same kennel he sleeps in at night, and stays in during the day. I don't think he's scared though. This is how he will be riding (he WON'T be riding inside), so I am hoping that he will calm down in time. I realize he is young yet. I guess my question is this...is there anything I can do to ease his anxiousness(I have included his usual chew toys, etc.), or is this just something he will learn is normal, and get used to it? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Puppy barking/whining in kennel in pickup

You have a very young puppy that is not used to being by himself (he's had his littermates and mom constantly for his entire life). It will take a while, but he'll get over it. Where are you bringing him?

We have had the same problem with Polly. We go camping every weekend and she gets really nervous and upset riding. I have found giving her a bacon flavored nylabone to chew on and upon arrival giving her a treat has helped. I think in time this will get better as she get older.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Could be out-and-out fear. I would start very slowly with this transportation. A short ride at low speeds with no turns. And open the window between the cab and the bed and praise for good behavior.

Even for adult dogs, travel this way can be overstimulating and scary. Slowly build up familiarity with it before bouncing around on back trails, speeding down city streets, or taking those hair-pin turns.

BTW - What are you going to do in winters? Is it cold where you live? Bitter cold + the wind chill of a moving vehicle can make for frosty paws! And rain/snow???

PS - I also hope you've got some arrangements of straps or bungee cords to ensure that that crate is rock solid in the bed -- no sliding or bouncing!