Frustration

Thread: Frustration

DefaultFrustration

> We've had our puppy for about 3 weeks now and he's 2 months old and we work with him EVERY DAY on "NO BITE"! And when he bites, we tell him "NO BITE" give him something else to chew on, and stop engaging him. This doesn't deter him in the slightest. If I stand up, then he latches onto either my pants or my leg and continues to play. I know he's young but I don't know what to do and it's so frustrating. It's at the point where I almost don't want to play with him b/c you can't touch him without him trying to bite you! Am I doing something wrong? Is there something else I could try to teach him "NO BITE"? ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Frustration

Yes, he is young and yes, it will get better ... in about 2 - 3 months. ;D If you get too frustrated, try giving him a little crate time -- not as a punishment, but because you need a break. You might try searching on "biting" and you'll probably find some other threads on how people handled it. For us, we just YELPED REALLY LOUDLY and she hated that. Then I would stand up and ignore her. I noticed an improvement around 4 1/2 months and then by 5 - 5 1/2 months it just stopped. Coincidentally, this is the same time her adult teeth came in, which probably contributed to the end more than anything.

Hang in there ... I promise it will go away!

Hang in there! *It WILL get better...but probably not 'til around 5 mos. or so, when the baby teeth are gone.

We got to the point that we almost didn't wanna play with ours either, for the biting on our hands...he drew blood, and we were torn up at times.

You're doing the right things by ignoring and re-directing. *Another tactic we used was to physically close his mouth; saying 'NO BITE' and holding his muzzle closed (not tight) until he settled. *That helped us. *Sometimes it has the opposite effect on a puppy, and get 'em riled up more..but it worked pretty well to help settle ours for awhile.

Good luck....everybody's been through it, but it is tough.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Djc1249
    You're doing the right things by ignoring and re-directing. *Another tactic we used was to physically close his mouth; saying 'NO BITE' and holding his muzzle closed (not tight) until he settled. *That helped us. *Sometimes it has the opposite effect on a puppy, and get 'em riled up more..but it worked pretty well to help settle ours for awhile.
    An episode of dog whisperer a few weeks ago showed this tactic and it worked very well. I decided then and there I would try that when I get mine and he gets a bit snippy..

dogmom is offline Senior Member

This is part of the problem of getting a puppy at such a young age (you said you had the puppy for 3 weeks and he is now 8 weeks old= 5 weeks when you brought him home).

Puppy's do learn some bite inhibition from the Mom and littermates, just another reason to keep the pup with the mom and litter until 7-8 weeks of age.

Barney and Bailey is offline Senior Member

'We had the exact same problem. When she turned five months and all her adult teeth were in, it was almost magic. It is wonderful now. Just continue to say no bite and redirect her to a toy or ice cubes.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. Just hang in there.

fburke is offline Senior Member

Willow is doing the same thing she is 10 weeks old.

What I did under suggestion of a board member is bought a bottle of “Bitter Apple” at my local pet store.

When she bites I say NO BITE once if she bites again I give her about ¼ of a squirt directly into her mouth push her snout away (firmly) and repeat NO BITE.

She usually does this little dance the “I don’t like this dance” then when she settles down in a minuet or so she’s usually pretty good for a little while.

This seems to be a daily thing or every time at the start of her playing after a nap but I’m sure in time she’ll learn.

Now could I cover my 2 year old in “Bitter Apple” so she won’t nip his butt?* * ;D* ;D* ;D

I have also sprayed a little on the corner of my throw rug for some reason Willow finds extremely tasty, and she backs right off of it.

A co worker of mine also said that when the bottle is mostly empty add some water to the bottle. There will be enough flavor left to get the point across and not have to spend another $8.99 for more!* I figure it’s worth a try.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Redirect either to a toy or another activity. We taught Wesley that although biting us was unacceptable, KISSING us was okay. So our mantra for these months was "NO BITE! KISSY! GOOOD KISSY!" It took hold.

Spray bottle can also work w/a mixture of water an lemon juice or water and vinegar, although NONE of these techniques (nor bitter apple) worked for us (he LIKED the taste of bitter apple AND tobasco for that matter! Nut-dog!)

I find giving them a stern NO BITE and closing their mouth to be the most effective for me. I will even kind of pinch their top lips in for a second. This even worked with our Yorkie who is very nippy even at almost 3 years old. He bites everyone but me because I correct him and they don't. After the correction don't initiate play again either. You can try giving him a toy he is allowed to play with though.

I would try closing his mouth for now since what you are doing isn't helping much.

We are currently in this stage with Bailey too; it's comforting to hear that others are going through it too. Bailey, like some of the others, loves the taste of the stuff you can buy in the store to try to deter them. Ignoring & grabbing her mouth with a "No Bite" has not detered her too much, although in past week I have seen some improvement!!
    I'm hanging in there with you!!