Too much exercise?

Thread: Too much exercise?

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

DefaultToo much exercise?

So, Molly has been pretty insane lately. I've chalked it up to two things her adolescence stage and her needing more exercise. How much exercise would be too much for a 5 1/2 month old puppy?

Right now her walks last anywhere between 20-30 minutes (this includes stops due to pulling). Would it be ok to increase her walk time to around 30-45 minutes?

If I can't take her for a walk she gets extra play time in the yard. Since she doesn't always bring things back when you throw them she usually chases Abby for about 30 minutes everyday.
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Too much exercise?

Would it be ok to increase her walk time to around 30-45 minutes?
    I don't see a problem.

I will assume her walks are leashed walks? if so, this is won't help or reduce her "insane" behavior. Labs are highly active dogs and need to run. Walking on leash does very little for them. I like to think of leash walking as mental stimulation (taking in the sights/sounds/smells) rather then physical exercise. You could walk a dog on leash for hours and it probably would not tire. I also don't count yard time as proper exercise. Running around in the same area, day after day, is boring for them.

Do you have anywhere --fields/parks/woods/etc-- you can let her off leash to run? does she like to swim or retrieve? VIGOROUS exercise in the form of running/swimming/retrieving is the only way to tire these dogs. At 5 1/2 months Molly is still very much a baby but she must have an outlet for all that energy. Just 30-45 minutes of something vigorous EVERY day and you will have a different dog.

Personally I think that is too much walking for a young pup. Off leash running around where she sets her own pace and stops/starts when she wants to would be better. Do that a few times a day. Also supervised play time with a dog her age is great.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I don't think that's enough.* For one thng, it sounds like most of the exercise is leashed walking which doesn't count for much.* Labs generally need to run (as in retrieving) or swim (as in retrieving).

The generally accepted Rule of Thumb for erxercising pups is 5 minutes of vigorous exercise per day for each month of age.

But my Puff (YF, AKC, field line, 63 lbs., dob: 8-01) was kind of hyper (perhaps because of the field line) and she needed TWO of those doses per day, one in the morning and one in the atftenoon to keep her from bouncing off walls.

The Rule of Thumb is a good starting point but you need to learn to "read your Lab" and assess what he or she needs because all are different.

For example, if you notice your Lab is hyper before being given the suggested dose of exercise but serene and peaceful and napping after, you are observing cause and effect.

But if in the afternoon or evening the morning's* exercise dose seems to have worn off and you get the wound-up behavior again, give another dose of vigorous exercise.

If you have a fenced in back yard, you can throw a ball or training dummy to play fetch.* Or maybe there's a school with a fenced in play ground, or a ball field, or a Bark Park where it's safe to run off leash?

You can also use a check cord/long line -- maybe 50-100 ft. long.* That allows the dog to run a distance but still gives you a means of some control.* (Hint: wear gloves if you do use one -- CCs/LLs can cause bad rope buirns.* 100 ft. of 1/4"/6 mm dia. polypropylene costs probably less than $6 at Lopwe's.* A snap fastener to put on the end would be another $1.50.)

Training dummies ("Lucky Dog" vinyl, knobby 2" x 12") are less than $4 ea. from http://gundogsupply.com and other places.

You can also buy a handball or a kids' baseball and bowl it on a sidewalk and let your Lab chase it and retrieve it.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks for the tips and advice

I didn't add that there really is no place "safe" around me to take either dog and let them off leash. We do have a park down the street and as part of our walk I take Molly and put her on a 50 foot line, step on it or follow close behind (i get my exercise too lol) and let her run around in the baseball field for the majority of our walk, I'm just used to calling it walk (which I guess it really isn't).

So it's ok to let her run that long as long as I don't see any signs of fatigue right?
    *Stacey*

Right (IMO)

"A Tired Lab is a Good Lab" -- Socrates

"A Bored Lab that is not Tired is a Royal P.I.T.A"* -- Confucius

"A Dozing Lab Rarely Causes Problems" -- Bhagavad Gita

"A Lab sufficiently exercised has partaken of Nature's own Prozac and Valium"* -- Hippocrates

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":

ha! I love the last one
    *Stacey*

."..she gets extra play time in the yard. Since she doesn't always bring things back

when you throw them she usually chases Abby for about 30 minutes everyday. "

You might read the thread below in case it helps.* I view retrieving as a life saver for the Lab owner.

https://justlabradors.com/forum/index.php?topic=5435.0