Teaching "Drop It"

Thread: Teaching "Drop It"

DefaultTeaching "Drop It"

i was wondering how i could teach my 9 month old lab, Koda, how to "drop it". when we play fetch he grabs the rope or ball and he usually runs right past me. either that or he runs to me and then runs away, like he's playing keep away. i was wondering how i could teach him how to drop it. what techniques have worked for you guys?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Teaching "Drop It"

I second that! Bobbie picked up all commands within a week other than "drop it". It's very frustrating! So yeah any techniques would be good, thanks!

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

Molly still doesn't quite get it, but here's what we've been doing (and it seems to be working)

When she has something we don't want her to have or do want her to have we "trade up" for something better (usually a small piece of treat). We hold the treat up and as soon as she releases the other object it's "good drop Molly, good drop" and she gets a treat (we also are clicker training so it's click then treat).

Other times we trade for a better toy or just praise Hope that helps a little
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well this is where Bobbie is strange. She knows "leave it" extremely well and will always obey this command. We can even put a treat on both paws and she won't touch them until we say so. Also if she takes something she shouldn't (like a sock lol) we say "leave it" and she will straight away But when we are playing fetch, bobbie won't drop the ball for love nor money. So its more a game of throw the ball once and ignore her until she drops it. Strange huh?* :

fburke is offline Senior Member

read my Teaching Retrieve Question post...i got a lot of good responses that may help you also.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

A leash or longline is essential for DROP IT. You've got to be able to get your mitts on the dog first.

If they're getting overly possessive, you can always squeeze some of that flabby skin under a tooth and when the dog opens his/her mouth, PRAISE like heck! Good drop it! Good boy/girl!

I teach drop it up close at first. I sit on a chair with the dog sitting facing me. I hold a toy in my hand and say "take it" (he does), then I say "give it" (or drop it). We do this repeatedly until it becomes second nature. At first I usually have to bribe the dog to release the toy. I hold a treat in front of his nose and as he gives up the toy, I give him the treat. I gradually wait longer and longer to give the treat after the release of the toy. As soon as he realizes he'll get praise and a treat for releasing, he gets quicker and quicker at the drop.

Well, I think I got lucky with Dash because it took me a while to teach my other dogs to drop it, but he got it right off the bat! What I can recommend that worked for all my dogs is to have the dog have the toy in his mouth and put your hand on it, pulling slightly and saying DROP IT with a slight pause in between the two words so the dog can here the DROP portion of the command and repeat it until he lets go. Sounds a little weird i know, but it works for me, so its worth a shot!