Does anyone

Thread: Does anyone

DefaultDoes anyone

Crate their adult lab for 8 hours a day?
    We are going away for 8 days next month and I can either leave Kimba with some friends who own a choco lab or kennel him. Problem is, if he stays with friends he will be in his crate for 8 hours while they are at work. They do not have a dog walker or anything bc their 4 yr old lab stays out in the house while they are at work. Kimba is not ready for run of the house when no one is home. I am torn bc I want him to have the companionship of the friends and their lab in evenings and weekends but I feel bad for crating him that long while they are at work. I am torn about kenneling him bc he will get much less exercise and no interaction the whole week but would have a 10ft sq room, doggie door and a nice run to go out in. Kimba is one year old. He can hold it 8 hours, that is not what I am worried about, I just think the confined space for that long won't be good. Also we could not leave water in the crate bc he would drink it all at once and then have to pee real bad.
    What should I do???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Does anyone

I would post this in LabChat (you'll get more responses from people with older dogs)... but I'm pretty sure there are members who crate that long... I know I will be when Ender is old enough. I'd vote for crating rather than kenneling.
    ~Lindsay

Mocha was crated for at least 9 hours during the day M-F from 5 months old-about a year and a half. She's fine. Normally she was a little hyper when we got home but a good walk and some fetch and she was fine. Now she's alone in the house for 9 hours+ and is still fine. Maybe a few days or a week before you leave start leaving her in there for several hours at a time and work your way up to a full day so it's not suddenly new to her.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

oh thank you! I feel so much better! Did Mocha have food or water at that time?? And no breaks? 9 hours straight?

Allie is crated for 8-9 hours M-F, but we spend A LOT of time with her when we get home to burn off that energy. Usually its an hour of hard play and 30 mins of training. On the weekends its free roam until Monday morning.

Lexie is only 9 months old and she stays in her crate all day.* Unfortunately, since we brought her home (she was 9 weeks old) she has been crated all day while we are at work (used to be 6 or 7 hours).* It took her one week to adjust.* By 10 weeks old, she never had another accident in her crate.* We tried leaving water, but she tired to eat the bowl and just played in the water and besides, with a full bladder I think it was harder for her to hold it so long.*

We don't live in an area that has dog-walkers, and my husband and I both work too far from home to stop in on our lunch break to let her out, so this was our only option.* One time we both had mandatory overtime and the poor thing was in there for 13 hours, no problems though.* Although she was extra happy to see us, for sure!

I vote being 'crated by day and happy by night' over kenneling any day.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I would opt for the crate. As long as she is exercised before she is crated for the day she will probably sleep for the duration.

Kenneling is a real miserable experience for dogs that are used to a lot of attention/exercise as they get very little of either.