I believe I have complained about this before...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I believe I have complained about this before...

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultI believe I have complained about this before...

My puppy is killing me! He is 4 months old now and still wakes up at 3:30am to go to the bathroom. I take his water away after 7:30pm. I go to bed around 10pm so I take him out to do his business right before then. There has been nights where I have been up till midnight or 1 am and he has been up and running around with me. I let him out before I go to sleep and he STILL WAKES UP AT 3:30am or there about! After he comes in he goes straight to his crate and sleeps and wakes up again at 4:30am wanting to play. I don't entertain this behaviour at all. I take him out and stand there holding his leash and give him 5 mins to do his business if he doesn't he is back in his crate. Then he wakes up whinning again at 5:30am...at this point i have to wake up anyways so I get up and feed him and take him out and play etc etc.
    No matter how much I walk him or play fetch with him or do anything with him during the evening HE STILL WAKES UP! SOOOOO FRUSTRATING AND TIRING! I can't keep my eyes open anymore. :-\
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: I believe I have complained about this before...

It sounds like you have a very energetic lab. I do think this will taper off with time. Are you giving your dog any bones or treats after dinner that could contain carbs or sugar?

Do you have a set routine with your dog? Do you start preparing your dog for bed at 9pm? With Allie we go to our bedroom and watch TV to relax, Allie knows that bed time is around the corner, so when we say crate, she doesn't fight it.

Is it possible that her crate is in a bad place? Too noisy, too bright etc? Is this a house or an apartment? If its an apartment maybe the people outside shuffling around keeps her alert.

Hang in there, this will slow down. Allie is 1 year old on Thursday and we practically have to drag her butt out in the mornings. Usually she curls up with me on the bed and goes back to sleep while my wife gets ready for work at 5am...

Kathryn Guest

With Maggie we were able to leave her water down until about 730 and she would sleep from 10 till about 6. With Dakota now I tried the same thing and started taking her water away at 630 in the evening. Lastnight I made the mistake of giving her ice cubes and we were up at 230 and 430.
    Id trying taking the water away a little sooner than 730 if you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Since he's 4 months old I'd say that by now he's probably just yanking your chain. *

One of my mom's girls would whine for a long time in the middle of the night, and we finally just decided she wanted to get out and see her mom and have a quick trip outside for some midnight fun. *We took up her water early (like you do) and just ignored her when she cried, and within a few minutes she'd fall back asleep again. *After a few nights she stopped completely. *

They really are like kids-they'll take advantage of you in a second. *I would suggest just making sure you have a firm schedule you stick to, and make him sweat it out the next couple of nights. *The last thing most dogs want to do is have an accident in their crate, so use that to your advantage. *At some point he'll have to get out of the 3:30 am habit (for the sake of your sanity and sleep!), so it might as well be now.

Good luck!!

Yeah I definitely stick to a schedule. By 9pm I just sit and watch TV and Buck sits on my lap gnawing on a toy or rawhide bone. Then at 10pm I take him out and then ask him to go to his crate and he goes right in and falls asleep right away. Hmm he is pretty laid back for a lab pup. A bit lazy even I'd say. After a couple of retrieves he just plops down and gnaws on something. He doesn't like going on walks. If I do manage to get him out of our yard...he will walk 10feet and try to go back home or just sit on the road or just sniff around. I have to take treats with me to get him to go.

We live in a house. I am not sure what it is that is waking him up. But I am through waking up in the middle of the night. I will try to let him just whine away tonight. We also have training class tonight maybe that will tire him out some. Maybe...just maybe I will get one night of atleast 5 hours straight sleep :-\

ThatsMyGirl Guest

A couple of things -- take his water up earlier. And, have you tried covering his crate (assuming it's a wire crate)? I have probably 2/3 of the crate covered at night so that it stays dark.

Whatever I use to cover his crate with he tries to pull it into his crate through the gaps between the wires haha

I guess I can look for a piece of plywood and use that

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Buckyball
    Whatever I use to cover his crate with he tries to pull it into his crate through the gaps between the wires haha

I guess I can look for a piece of plywood and use that
    Try this -- if you can find a piece of plywood that is slightly larger than the top of the crate ... you could just put the plywood on top and then use a sheet or towels drapped off the plywood. Because the wood is larger than the crate, it should drape off far enough away from the crate that your puppy can't reach it.

OOoo good idea! Thanks!

If you can stand it I would let him whine for a few nights he's in a routine where he gets up at 3:30. It sounds like he dosn't even go right away when you let him out so I would say he can hold it if you make him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast