Puppy Training
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Training

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppy Training

How soon after you bring the new puppy home should you enroll in a training class? I've searched but am still kind of confused about this one

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Puppy Training

Well, I was actually just looking at that myself. The place that I will be taking Bali requires the pups be atleast 4 months (due to vaccinations I think), but it may vary from place to place. I intend to ask my breeder this next weekend (as well as another million questions).

We enrolled Adama at 13 weeks (she had just received her last set of shots)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Have you found your breeder yet? * Did you say you found one 3 hours away? * When is the litter expected? *

As for training, it depends on the place. * *I wouldn't go somewhere that allows public access to dogs such as Petsmart or Petco intil your dog is fully protected (after 16 weeks) But, you may find a trainer that does puppy classes and makes sure all enrolled puppies are healthy and current on shots. *I found one that Miles will start when he is 11 weeks. *I got the vet's approval based on the trainer's reputation for being conscientous about the health of her client pups.

We started puppy kindergarten at 8 weeks (after the 2nd vaccination) at the Vet's. He checked all puppies were vaccinated, but that's New Zealand so I am not sure how it is in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by MilesMom
    Have you found your breeder yet? * Did you say you found one 3 hours away? * When is the litter expected? *

As for training, it depends on the place. * *I wouldn't go somewhere that allows public access to dogs such as Petsmart or Petco intil your dog is fully protected (after 16 weeks) But, you may find a trainer that does puppy classes and makes sure all enrolled puppies are healthy and current on shots. *I found one that Miles will start when he is 11 weeks. *I got the vet's approval based on the trainer's reputation for being conscientous about the health of her client pups.
    Thanks! I wanted to start formal training as early as possible but I know I have to balance that with the shots and stuff. The vet I will use recommeneded a trainer but I havent contacted them yet. We have Petco here and I am kind of leery of a place like that for tarining...from what I read its kind of a hit or miss..

I located a breeder a little closer..andhour and a half or so who will have (hopefully!) puppies right about the time I want to bring my puppy home. He just bred one of his females and we are waiting to see if she's pregnant.

He is recommended by friends of mine who recently got a choclat Lab from him. The pup was friendly, wasnt afraid of being around people and they seemed happy with the breeder. I go and visit him next Saturday and am writing questions as I think of them. Since I had some training questions he will introduce me to a trainer they use close by.

I take his willingness to let me come and see the place as a great sign! I am sooo lookin forward to next Sat!

Quote Originally Posted by Tasmans Mom
    We started puppy kindergarten at 8 weeks (after the 2nd vaccination) at the Vet's. He checked all puppies were vaccinated, but that's New Zealand so I am not sure how it is in the US.
    Thanks! still something to go on. BTW, New Zealand has to be one of the most beautiful places on earth. Never been there but a friend of mine who flys for American Airlines here has....brought back some fabulous pics!

Quote Originally Posted by myfavoritedog
    Thanks! still something to go on. BTW, New Zealand has to be one of the most beautiful places on earth. Never been there but a friend of mine who flys for American Airlines here has....brought back some fabulous pics!
    Thanks it's a lovely place to live. Can highly recommend it! I have only moved here 3 years ago from the Netherlands. My husband is a kiwi and wantd to go back after living in Australia for a long time.

It's definitely a good sign. I wouldn't consider a breeder who won't let you come and see the parents before you decide. We made our decision on our puppy based on the momma and two other dogs they had from the same line. You can't based on looking at the litter. All puppies are cute.

I was confused on this one too. Our training place has puppy classes (our puppy would be 12 weeks for this one) and basic obedience (she would be 16 weeks for this). I can't decide if the puppy class is worth it or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast