crazy jumpy puppy..........
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crazy jumpy puppy..........

Defaultcrazy jumpy puppy..........

Hello everyone,

Having some issues here with Chance, I know he is only 15 weeks old but he is never calm...........always wants to play and jump. What really gets to me is so many people come up to me when i am walking him to pet him but chance gets all crazy and jumps. I just don't know what i can do...........just want him to be chill so people can pet him. I just want to stop it before he gets to big. Any help of what you are doing or what you have done with you pups would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: crazy jumpy puppy..........

My only recommendation would be to get him into obedience training and between sessions with the trainer, practice, practice, practice. Not one long 30 minute practice session, but 6 minute practice sessions throughout the day. Between practice sessions, excercise. He probably needs a good 20 minutes of excersize a few times per day. Are there any other pups around you can set up a play date with?

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Exercise... more exercise.. and of course obedience training as MilesMom said.
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Try this exercise -- enlist a friend/buddy to help. Have your dog sit. When your friend approaches, have them IGNORE your dog until he is sitting. Your friend should then attempt to pet your puppy, at which time your puppy will probably pop up and start wiggling. Have your friend immediately stand back up straight. Do not let them pet your puppy, or engage your puppy in any way until your puppy is sitting. You want your puppy to learn that he/she gets attention only when he is sitting.

I started having Adama sit whenever a person/dog/biker approached us. I usually have her sit when they're still 15 feet away... then I tell her to STAY and that way she is already sitting when the person comes up. I've found that it's too hard to get her attention and make her sit when someone just walks up, but this has definitely helped. It took lots of patience.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsMyGirl
    Try this exercise -- enlist a friend/buddy to help.* Have your dog sit.* When your friend approaches, have them IGNORE your dog until he is sitting.* Your friend should then attempt to pet your puppy, at which time your puppy will probably pop up and start wiggling.* Have your friend immediately stand back up straight.*
    to make this even more effective, get your friend to stand up and then turn around. The more 'dramatic' your friend can be, the bigger the effect on your puppy. Inside, you can add "stand up, turn around and walk out the door, closing it behind you' - coming back in after a couple of seconds.

When you are out walking, simply crouch down and hold the leash close to the dog's collar (or step on the leash) preventing her from jumping up when people want to say hello.

fburke is offline Senior Member

I have seen a harness that would help prevent this. Of course this would only be a training aid and something you would put on only when you were walking him.

This may help with any commands you are also giving him.

Here is a link http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

Have you used it???? Looks like it could work. thanks

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

I agree w/what's been said upthread. It's incumbent on you to teach your dog how to react in situations like this. He's not going to just wake up one day and decide not to jump up to say hello or all of a sudden decide not to be hyper.

Find a word and TRAIN it - SETTLE or OFF! And there are NO lovins' until he does what you're asking -- even if it means calling out to the well-intentioned strangers who want to greet him: "I'm still working with Chance's behavior, so I'd appreciate it if you not pet him/talk to him until I've got him under control!"

And then work at it.

And if he's good, then call them forward calmly.

But if he's not: "I'm sorry! Chance doesn't seem to want to behave to say hello today. Maybe tomorrow." And off you go in another direction.

In our house, first thing in the morning, when we arrive home or when somebody comes to the door, nobody pets Rocky until he is sitting and settled. It becomes more of a challenge however when we go outside when he sees other dogs and when we meet new people. Our consistancy in the house does show outdoors to some extent. Constantly a work in progress. :-\

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast