Ouch! Those puppy teeth again

Thread: Ouch! Those puppy teeth again

Codysmom is offline Junior Member

DefaultOuch! Those puppy teeth again

Well, we've had Cody for about 3 weeks now and he's doing really well with his crate at night and with the housebreaking, only a couple accidents this whole past week. He even goes to the door and rings the bell to go out most of the time. But he seems to be getting worse with his nipping and it seems like holding his snout or pressing our thumb on his tongue & saying 'no bite' is making it worse. It's mostly when he's excited but I have an eleven yr old son who is taking the brunt of these razor teeth. Also, whenever he even walks through the room Cody's latching onto his shorts or ankles . I know Cody is just really excited and wants to play with Ryan and everyone else, but how do we get his attention and make him stop. He has tons of chew toys that he plays with all the time but sometimes we just don't have one handy. When he's calm he'll sit on command 95% of the time but when he gets riled up there's no listening going on at all . I know it's going to take time and we are really consistant with him but my son is having a hard time because he loves the dog and wants to play with him but is getting hurt all the time.
    I'll take any more advice that anyone has on this! Please!
    Linda

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Ouch! Those puppy teeth again

Miles likes to bite too and we are doing all the same things you are. I recall someone telling me you also grab them by the scruff of their neck and correct them that way. It's like what the mother would do. I don't know. But I'll watch this thread for suggestions. My 2 1/2 year old grand daughter gets Miles pretty excited too and I want to nip the nipping as soon as possible.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ouch! Those puppy teeth again

The following is adapted from prervious posts:

Let me offer you a solution that worked well for my Puff (YF, field line, 62 lbs. dob 8-01) and me when Puff was a pup.

First, recognize that all normal puppies are chewers.* They must chew -- it's not an issue of training them not to do it.* They need to do it to accomplish the exchange of puppy teeth for adult teeth. Some Lab pups can be trained to NOT chew certain body parts or objects -- but many cannot.

So I always kept some Hartz Mountain chew sticks with me.* These are made of small pieces of compressed rawhide held together by a flavored medium, about the size of a cigarillo. They come maybe 300 to a package at WalMart.

Since the rawhide is in very small pieces, even when they're swallowed, they won't create intestinal blockages.*

There are many manufacturers of similar products but most are made in third world countries without our animal health food standards and as no-name brands.* My guiding principle is that it MUST have
    -- a company name and full address,
    -- a toll free number, and
    -- a guarantee of customer satisfaction
    to justify* buying it
    (and preferably be made in the US, UK, or Canada).* If it doesn't have all three (or 4) of those, don't get it.* Many people have reported their pups got stomach upsets from chewing these.*

I suspect that's often because the chew sticks came from questionable sources and undesirable chemicals were used in their processing.* But, just as not every Lab pup's digestive system will be comfortable with any one particular food formula, a few upsets surely occured because of differences there, too.
    Whenever Puff attacked my ankles or hands, I'd whip out a chew stick from my pocket to distract her and substitute one of those.* Their flavor was much more attractive to Puff than my skin -- or the table leg or computer cord.

It* worked every time.

I'd often find myself thankfully muttering about the chew sticks words similar to* the American Express card* slogan -- "Don't go anywhere without it."

There are some people who do not like Hartz Mountain products or their typical* ingredients.* But on this, it was a matter of either-or survival and using the HM chew sticks was certainly the least bad choice for us.* Now that I know more about food and quality companies, if I'd seen similar chew sticks made by mfrs like Diamond, Eukanuba, Nutro, or Purina -- any of those would have been even better.* *(While all those companies do make treats,* the chewsticks are far lower in kcals.)

Puff never had a stomach upset on the HM product so it worked out very well for us.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748