Miles first week is over

Thread: Miles first week is over

DefaultMiles first week is over

Well, Mile's first week in our home has come to a close. Miles is doing very well. He's doing well with housebreaking and he doesn't mind is crate at all. We've been working on "come", "sit", "down" and leash walking and progress is being made. Now that he's feeling quite at home here AND is a week older, stronger and wiser he's also more mischievious and playful. He's starting to play "catch me if you can" if he has a prized possession in his mouth-oh BOY.

Some observations and advice for anyone thinking about getting a puppy based on my first week. (look at me, I think I am an expert now)

1. Read up first and figure out how you are going to do things and start the minute you get home. I am so grateful for the books I read and the advice I got on this board before I brought him home. I really think that has made things easier, the crate in particular. So anyone considering a puppy, read, read, read first.

2. If you can bring puppy home when you have a few days off that is best and practice your routine for when you go back to work. I don't mean crate your pup all day as if you were at work all day, but go through the normal routine and maybe crate him for a shorter time while you run an errand.

3. If you have young kids (under 4) consider waiting till they get a little older. Old enough to comprehend and follow directions. I mean, it can be done with any age child, but I had my 2 1/2 year old grand daughter here a few afternoons this week and my,my!! was I exhausted!! Between his razor sharp teeth and being 9 weeks thinking all her movements were play and her getting fired up and sqealing Miles! Miles! I had to really be on my toes! In addition, trying to watch him to see if he has to pee and her wanting to help. He starts to pee in the house so I put him outside and it's raining so I don't let my granddaugter go out with us and she's standing at the door crying.....AAAAAAHHH!!! I get to send her home after a few hours, I would not want that full time. I guess my advice is not to get a puppy when you have a toddler in the house. Not that it can't be done or it would have any horrible long term affects, but it will just be so much easier for you if you wait. Raising a puppy should be fun for the most part. That's why we do this.

Well, most of all I want to thank everyone for all the advice you have given me so far!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Miles first week is over

Great advice. You know I'm constantly amazed at the number of people who appear to have done no research on the breed before they get the puppy. From that perspective it's not surprising that alot of these energetic pups end up in shelters or rescues.

Thanks for the advice, I am sure it will come in handy in four weeks when we bring Bali home. I have been doing quite a bit of reading too, and have a list of things to get before he comes home, so it is good to know I am on the right track.

Congrats to Miles (and to you) on a good first week! ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Four more days til we go get ours!!! ;D

I love reading all the posts about what happens during those first early weeks home. I figure the more information and advice I can gather the better.

I am so happy for you everything is going smoothly! Yes I agree reading a lot up front made all the difference for us as well. That said we do have 4 year old twins at home causing a little more stress than necessary sometimes...

heehee! My son in law sent Adrianna over wearing a bright pink poncho with pom poms dangling from the neck. Miles had a heydey with those. I had to make her take it off until she went home.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MilesMom
    heehee!* My son in law sent Adrianna over wearing a bright pink poncho with pom poms dangling from the neck. * Miles had a heydey with those.* I had to make her take it off until she went home.
    I can just picture that!

Labrador rule #342: If it dangles, it is mine.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I'm glad Miles had a good first week. I am the type to research something before making a purchase and am glad even more so in this case. Now I wont be surprised with an accident and know what to do, for instance. Plus the crate thing...never knew that before now so I'll be able to use it. Keep us posted, plus pics!