growling+then knowing he shouldnt

Thread: growling+then knowing he shouldnt

max

Defaultgrowling+then knowing he shouldnt

max is almost 2yrs old now he is very plesently natured and very friendly. Recently he was lying on the chair and my hubby went over to him+playfuly went to pick him up, max growled but not feeling thretened we laughed it of, but now he does it now+again when you go to him whilst hes lying on the chair or the floor, im not laughing now as i no i did nothing to stop it the first time i have no one to blame but me. He doesnt pose a threat because as soon as he as done it he's up running round my legs as if to say sorry+wanting lots of cuddles. Any1 got any ideas as to how i can corect this. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: growling+then knowing he shouldnt

It sounds as though Max has placed himself above you in the pack. By growling he is giving a distinct message for you to back off. Basically, he is telling you its his chair and, as a 'lower' ranking pack member, you have no right to get him off it.

Generally speaking Labradors are NOT dominant dogs. To put a stop to this behavior the dog has got to respect you and accept your control. I would start with a strict NILIF (Nothing in Life is Free) program;

www.k9deb.com/nilif.htm

The basis behind NILIF is that the dog is made to work for EVERYTHING.

In addition to NILIF I would not let Max on the furniture. Dogs that growl should sleep on the floor. If he has his own comfy dog bed he shouldn't need to sleep on the furniture anyway.

max

DefaultRe: growling+then knowing he shouldnt

Thanks 4 your advice its been very helpful. I will be letting him no where he stands and you are so right cuz with my youngest son whos 8 he does try tobe boss over him and my son no's that he must be firm with him so that max no's he is beneath him. cheers 4 the link very useful