Puppy Training Class Question

Thread: Puppy Training Class Question

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppy Training Class Question

My local Petco offers Puppy classes for puppies 8 weeks to 6 months.

At what age is a good age to enroll in a class like this? Should my wife and I both go to these classes or is it better for just one of us to go and that one person be the “trainer” or Alpha dog.

Has any one had any experience with Petco’s classes? I know the trainers would be different store to store just wondering if they had either a good or bad reputation. I think the classes were about $80.00

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puppy Training Class Question

Can you go somewhere else other than Petco? I guess I would hesitate to take my new puppy without FULL vaccinations to a Petco... I also haven't heard great things about Petco trainers... I get the feeling it is a crapshoot.

Just wondering what your options are. In Milwaukee I had quite a few options between several training places.
    ~Lindsay

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Petco and Petsmart trainers vary widely - like any school, watch a class or two before you sign up to see if you like the trainer and their methods.

And as I mentioned in the walk post, please refrain from taking your puppy around unknown dogs till they have all their shots. 8 weeks is much too young for classes, especially in a petstore.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Can't help you with your Petco/Petsmart query, but you should both attend the classes either together or take turns. You want the pup to respond to both you AND your wife. Attending classes with both of you strengthens your bond and reminds the pup who is in control.

Barney and Bailey is offline Senior Member

We chose an individual trainer, but our daughter had great success with Petsmart. I would imagine the trainers do vary from store to store, and I would audit a class or two and see what you think of the trainers attitude toward people and their pets.

That said, we both went to training. And I agree with the above that it creates a bond with both of you. Also, you're both on the same page as far as commands and how you respond to different situations.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

I agree both should go, but one person should lead and the other learn from that person. It's confusing enough for the dog to try to learn what all these commands mean, coming from different people. Plus, as a handler, YOU'RE learning at the same time your dog is.

Once he/she can respond to the primary handler, then it's time to introduce the second handler and go for the conformity that is important.....

I enrolled Adama in a PetSmart puppy kindergarden when she was 12 weeks old and had all her shots. We loved it and we had a really great trainer. We did check out the trainers before hand and asked neighbors who had gone there who they liked best.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

We did check out the trainers before hand and asked neighbors who had gone there who they liked best.
    I also asked around. We decided on a trainer at PetSmart, who I'd heard nothing but good things about. We've taken 3 classes under her and I've been very pleased.

I would caution you about starting classes before your puppy has completed it's vaccination series. While the puppies in the classes may be vaccinated, there are many dogs that pass through those doors that aren't. We waited until two weeks after Sami's final shots to start the class.

In the meantime, check some books out from the library on training. You'll be amazed at everything your puppy can learn from now until you start classes. By the time we started at 18 weeks of age, Sami knew sit, down, stay, wait, and we were working on heeling.

I agree with the others. I would not take the puppy to petsmart or petco until completely vaccinated (around 16 weeks). I found a puppy class in the are that my vet knows of and the owner makes sure all pups are up to date on their shots and the vet knows her clientele and that they are conscientous dog owners and feels that is okay. Still some risk but weighed against the value of puppy class, okay. But anyone can bring in dogs and puppies to petsmart and petco without restriction. A puppy can pick up very bad diseases in such a place, including parvo.