Crate Training Success !!...well Almost

Thread: Crate Training Success !!...well Almost

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultCrate Training Success !!...well Almost

Day 5 of Crate training

I have cured the wining and barking part. Now before I go to bed at night I take her for a nice walk to tire her out. When I get home I give her a few minuets to calm down then place her in her crate which we moved from our kitchen to our living room she seems more interested in it now that it’s in an area where she spends most of her time anyway.

I also giver her a Kong about ¼ filled with some adult dog food that I have left over from my previous dog I have been using this as her “treats” so it doesn’t go to waste. I then seal with peanut butter.. not frozen yet..

Once I put her in her crate I don’t immediately shut the door but say “Willow bed” I lay her down then sit on the couch for about 20 min she’ll stare at me for a few min then her eyes close and sleepy she goes! Then I shut the door she’ll sometimes looks but no reaction. I finally have gotten good nights sleep the past few nights.

I have put a towel and one of my sweat shirts in the crate but I have noticed she has gone pee on these. Would it be better to not put anything on the floor of the kennel?

I think that the towel absorbs the urine so she “doesn’t mind it”. Maybe she wouldn’t like it and be less likely to pee in the crate if there was nothing it there to hide it. she has only had 1 poop accident so far.

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Crate Training Success !!...well Almost

I'm on week 2 of crate training & Bailey is doing very well (we're pretty much done with the whining too!!); we've even taken out her divider so she has more room & haven't see any change in her habits.
    I had the same questions too, because we leave a towel in there for her (she loves to lay on it) & during the day (when we're at work) it doesn't apper that she's peed in her kennel (I come home at lunch), but sometimes I wonder if the towel hasn't already soaked it up!! ??? She loves to lay on it, that's why I'm thinking she doesn't, but I wonder if it's not a temptation for them??
    Sounds like you're having a pretty good time with Willow too!!

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Congrats on the successes... the little ones count... remember... progress is what we want... nothing is going to be perfect.

When does she have these accidents? At night?
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I really not sure I just noticed it today I didn’t see any wet spots I gave the towel the “sniff test” :P. I did notice one other time also so I guess I need to keep a better eye on it to see when exactly she’s doing it. I may takeout the towel and just leave the shirt just for comfort.

I haven’t removed my divider yet…she has enough room to lay down and stretch out so I don’t want to have it to big for her.

I don't know about Willow... but Ender uses a "soft" place to sleep about 1/2 the time when he's freely choosing around the house so I would take up all the absorbing stuff for a while til she is 100% potty trained... I don't think she'll mind not having the softness for a few nights. Ender does sleep with his bear in the crate though. He's had that bear in his crate since he came home from the breeder's. ;D
    ~Lindsay

Maybe a better idea to take the items that absorp the wee's out of the crate for now.

I think you might be training her that doing wee's in the crate is ok and doing wee's on soft materials is ok which will set you up for failure. She needs to be uncomfortable when she wee's so she learns to go outside. Just a thought

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Definitely take out the soft stuff. You'll be able to put it back in the crate in a few weeks.

I agree with all of you. I think putting a blanket is more comfort for us (people) my old dog was just as happy sleeping on the living room rug as he was on the concrete driveway in January and that was his choice!!

Thank for the advice!

I think I've "trained" Ender that I'd rather he slept ON the couch or ON the bed so he does it for my benefit... 'cause when he's really tired he just FLOPS on the ground.
    ~Lindsay