Walking on a leash

Thread: Walking on a leash

DefaultWalking on a leash

So walking Bailey on a leash (just around our yard for now of course) hasn't been going so good at first, as expected, always biting the leash & pulling back, but we've been consistant at taking her for walks & trying to correct her biting at the leash.
    This morning was the best yet, only had to stop a couple of time to stop her and as soon as I told her to "Drop It", she looked at me right away & stopped biting it. I'm just so excited; it takes patience, but persistence is paying off!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Walking on a leash

YAY!!!

Definitely patience and persistance. It's so weird how it seems that they suddenly "get it"... now when Ender accidently gets the leash in his mouth (usually when he's trying to get the bumper that is swinging in my hand) he stops and drops it out without me saying anything!!!

Now if only he'd catch onto the "no pull" thing... lol
    ~Lindsay

People in the neighborhood are impressed by Petals. Petals is only about 11.5 weeks old and she does not really pull. I started early with her on the leash. Now as soon as I put the leash on her she sits and looks at me with a "when do we get to walk" look. I usually keep it short and simple. I put her in a heel and then tap my left leg and say "Lets Go!" and if she doesn't start to walk with me I give her a little tug "or pop if you like" and repeat "Lets Go!" and she follows. I will do that for like 10min with no distractions then take her for a walk around the neighborhood. The other day my neighbor came out and asked if that was the same puppy as she saw a couple of weeks ago and I told her yes. She was like "You are a good owner and trainer". She was impressed that I don't let Petals go off the leash and when I told Petals to sit she did.

It is like watching your little girl do well and you get so proud. I am a proud Daddy!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

fburke is offline Senior Member

Willow is 9 weeks old I don’t know what I did but she is great on a leash even as far as sitting down if I stop for a few min. I never even trained her to do this, of course I praise her and say good girl! but she did this on her own. I have been taking her on nightly walks through my small town and I have not had any problems with her. She even knows where she lives now I put her on a little longer lead the other night and walked behind her and she went right to my house even though I walked right by it.

This may sound dumb but I fear if she was go get loose I would want her to know how to get home.

Now I wish she was a little better on the bitting part…I wish I could change my “good on Leash” order to “does not bite” ;D

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Just a note, you really shouldn't be taking your puppies for walks until they have had their complete set of vaccinations (usually by 4 months). There are many, many diseases that dogs can pass to each other, and some are passed on via feces or in the soil.

Limit your walks to your own yard for another couple weeks!

JanCarkner Guest

I would respectfully disagree, Kaytris. Walking my dog & getting him exposed to all sorts of experiences and people and noises is so important. Corby is just over 3 months old, and he doesn't even flinch at the train passing on the tracks, or buses 10 feet from the sidewalk, or bicyclists and joggers. I haven't taken him to an off-leash park with other dogs... perhaps we can agree that this might be riskier? These early months are critical in forming your dogs attitude and how well he accepts unusual situations, so I say continue your walks! They're lots of fun for you and your dog.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JanCarkner
    I would respectfully disagree, Kaytris. Walking my dog & getting him exposed to all sorts of experiences and people and noises is so important.*
    You can do all that without putting him at risk - simply by carrying him.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Ender was already 20 lbs by the time he was 8 weeks old... I think he was 30 at 12 weeks. Needless to say, impossible to carry on our walks and I was not about to buy one of those ridiculous dog strollers.
    ~Lindsay

In my opinion, a walk around the neighborhood is much less risky than going to a park where people specifically take their dogs to play. A doggie park would be particularly risky.