Bell training question

Thread: Bell training question

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultBell training question

I take Willow out a lot in the yard to play and to “do business”

How can I teach her to notify me when she “needs” to do business?

I failed at this with my other dog and if he had to go he wouldn’t give me any notice that he “had to go” and if I didn’t take him out he would go in the house.

I would just say, “want to go out” and he would go excitedly to the door. I just want to train my puppy the difference of just gong out to have fun and going to do her business. I was thinking of “bell training but I don’t want her to ring the bell just because she wants to go play.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bell training question

We did bell training... I think what is key is when Ender rings the bell... we take him out... if he doesn't go pee or poop... we immediately bring him back in. IF he pees and or poops, we praise him of course and when appropriate then go for a walk or play or whatever... He's caught on that he has to eliminate first if he was the one that rang the bell... otherwise we aren't doing anything else.
    ~Lindsay

Yup, we do the same as Ender's Mom.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ender's Mom
    We did bell training... I think what is key is when Ender rings the bell... we take him out... if he doesn't go pee or poop... we immediately bring him back in.* IF he pees and or poops, we praise him of course and when appropriate then go for a walk or play or whatever...* He's caught on that he has to eliminate first if he was the one that rang the bell... otherwise we aren't doing anything else.
    Hmmm, interesting. Well we have a fenced yard and Sami knows that if she rings the bell, we'll let her out. Sometimes she wants to just sit on the deck in the sun ... sometimes she needs to potty. I never made a distinction between the two because it was easy enough to let her out. The only time that it's a "problem" is when my SU is mowing the lawn and we need to keep Sami inside. She will ring that bell ten times (getting louder each time) wanting to be outside with him. So, I think Ender's Mom may be on to something ....