Waaaahhh my baby is humping the pillows!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waaaahhh my baby is humping the pillows!!

DefaultWaaaahhh my baby is humping the pillows!!

Ok Tasman is only 15 weeks old and he is humping the pillow he sleeps on..
    is that normal I mean that early? Or is it a sign of dominance...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Waaaahhh my baby is humping the pillows!!

Lol my Bobbie humps too and she is a girl! She was abandoned and we got her when she was just about 7wks old so i doubt she was around dogs to witness this but she still does it.
    She only does it to a stuffed hippo that we gave to her the night we brought her home.
    We call it humpalumping.
    I don't know why they do it, i guess it's just their hormones and as long as Bobbie only does it to her humpalumpa, i don't see it as much of a problem. Should i?

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Dominence ... and it's best if you correct it. Sami is 10 months old and she does it. I just tell her "No... off"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bobbie is 10 months old now too and she still does it but not half as much as when she was 6/7 months. She will always stop when i tell her to aswell.
    Must be their teenage hormones! :

Rocky is 15 weeks old as well and he humps towels and the t-shirt I leave in his crate for comfort. He doesn't hump them in the crate, he brings them into the hall or kitchen for all of us to see.* : ???

My daughter's 4 year old lab, Bailey, has a big teddy bear he humps. Every now and then he drags it out into the living room, humps it and walks away. What a user!!

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Well, humping in some cases can be a sign of dominance. But a pillow? I'm skeptical. It's not like they're thinking, "Yeah, pillow, take that; who's your daddy now, huh?" I think it's just generally a sign of excitement. As a puppy Theo energetically humped pillows, stuffed animals--pretty much anything he could get his paws around--and it sort of went away on its own. We never made a big deal of it, except for occasionally giggling at him.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by theoconbrio
    Well, humping in some cases can be a sign of dominance. But a pillow? I'm skeptical. It's not like they're thinking, "Yeah, pillow, take that; who's your daddy now, huh?"* I think it's just generally a sign of excitement. As a puppy Theo energetically humped pillows, stuffed animals--pretty much anything he could get his paws around--and it sort of went away on its own. We never made a big deal of it, except for occasionally giggling at him.
    Actually I do agree with you, although I said dominance above.* Well Sami started with humping her favorite toy, a stuffed pig, when she was about 4 - 5 months old.* It's the only toy she has ever humped.* She has never attempted it with me, or any family member.* However, she is a major mounter : with the lab buddy she plays with.* She will mount him at every opportunity -- he's taller, weighs a good 20 lbs more ... but he is completely oblivious to her mounting.* That, I believe, is a dominance thing with her.* She plays with lots of dogs, but only attempts the mounting of Toby, her best buddy.* Oh, and by the way, one of my neighbor's saw Sami and Toby playing the other day ~ and Sami doing her typical attempts at mounting ~* and he yelled over the fence "That Sami is very uhhh ACTIVE isn't she?"* How embarrassing.* :

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

"That Sami is very uhhh ACTIVE isn't she?"
    Hee hee. Nice euphemism.

Yes, agree about the mounting. Especially if it begins with the neck over the shoulder of the other dog. Theo gets humped all the time (it's like he has a big "HUMP ME" sign pinned to his butt), and he actually seems to mind the posturing more than the actual mounting.

Great advise guys, thanks! I guess we will keep an eye on it, so far it's only 1 particular pillow. I feel as long as he does not do it to people no worries.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast