Play Vs Pee

Thread: Play Vs Pee

DefaultPlay Vs Pee

Thought that post would get some people. Well Petals is AWESOME and doesn't pee in the house anymore. She now goes to the door and sits when she needs to go out. EVERYTIME and I mean everytime she would go to the door and sit we would let her out. Lately she know that there is a dog next door and she gets into the bushes and digs and all that fun stuff that labs do. Here is the problem. i want to get to know the difference of going out to eliminate and going out to just get into trouble (play). Does anyone have any suggestions?

by the way I tried to put her on the leash and walk her in the back (I have a townhome backyard so it is not big) and she got confused. Since I have been training her to heel and loose leash walking, she associates the leash with training and will stay at my side. I know I should not moan about her heeling when I want her to, but just some questions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Play Vs Pee

If she has a usual peespot and a peeword, take her there FIRST and use the command. If there's no peeing, you'll know you were 'played' and that she really just wanted to go outside. To not reinforce that behavior, take her back in -- she doesn't get the praise and reward of play until she goes.

It shouldn't take her long to figure out what you want.

As far as leash-walking and heeling go - I'm not sure I completely understand. She's on the leash and walking in strict heel even though you haven't told her to? Is that it?

Because if that's the case, use your release word.

"I see you heeling there, Petals. What a pretty girl! And a smart one, too! Okay, ALL DONE! Good girl" Or whatever your release word is. She should figure out that it's okay for her to niff here and niff there, even though she's on the leash.

Ok I will try that. Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Good advice from dweck.