Shop Lab

Thread: Shop Lab

DefaultShop Lab

Hi All,

We would like Tasman to become our shop lab in our retail business.
    Does anybody else have any experiences with how to "train" them for this?
    Or maybe you take your lab to work with you, how did you start this? I normally take him every day a couple of hours but notice that with his age now almost 4 months he has a lot more energy and is starting to greet EVERYBODY. Very cute but not everybody likes this. Anyway is he just too young..?
    Any advise welcome!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Shop Lab

Its only natural for him to get excited in an environment where there is always something going on. Can you section a a safe area off for him? as well meaning as he is, its not really fair on the customers to be bugged by him as not everyone likes dogs.

I think that's probably a good idea,thanks! We have bought him a foldable crate but then out of tent material (he has not tried to eat it yet). Which we use if it is very busy, I was also thinking of making a big hook in the wall so we can put an extra long lead onto that for a bit more room to move around.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

There are a few stores around where I live that bring their dogs and they baby gate them away from customer area. They can see all that's going on but can't get to the customers

what about getting an x-pen to set up somewhere out of the way so he has a little more room to move around but is still away from customers.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Tasman's going to need even more diligent 'manners training' for what you're asking of him - That means, IMHO, that you want IMMEDIATE and 100% correct responses to things like SETTLE, QUIET, NO VISIT, LEAVE IT, NO SNIFF, OFF, and DOWN/STAY.

I'd make absolutely sure, too, that he's getting enough exercise. You're basically asking him to lie around a store all day long and not get bored/antsy w/your inventory or customers. That's going to mean a lot of off-leash running/retrieving/swimming before and after the 'work' day, so your RECALL should be really good, too.

DWECK you are soo right, he is only 15 weeks old tomorrow so we are still just letting him get used to this situation. He will go for a walk in the morning, in the shop for 1.5 hours then home in his crate, and in the afternoon another walk and here for 2-3 hours, then I pick up my boys at 4pm and we go for another short walk on the beach.

The hours he is here with me he has been pretty good, no barking or whining when I am here talking to customers. Unfortunately we cannot put up baby gates so I will have to look at another solution for the future to give him a little more space.

Regarding training: we have finished puppy kindergarten are now doing K9 junior classes on Sunday and will start Obedience Junior classes on the 20th of May on Saturday morning. I do realise I am asking a lot but that's one of the main reasons I choose a labrador....

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I know not everyone likes dogs but if I were one of your customers I would love for him to greet me!

LOL I am the same!