laziness

Thread: laziness

Defaultlaziness

so everything is going well with my new pup Maebee. Her cough as subsided a little, and she is learning fast. The only thing is she seems really lazy! She is always lying down and when I take her outside to play she doesn't seem interested in the ball, she just follows me around. She is 3 months old and I haven't had any real behavioral problems, shes just so calm it doesnt seem normal.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: laziness

Is she healthy? Like 100%? Like checked out by a vet recently? It could be something medical.

OR it could be that she has a really low play drive. Our Wesley is like that -- For other dogs, the sun rises and sets on their toys, but he just kinda looks at them and says, "Meh - When's dinner?"

My last lab was just like that. Most people who knew labs would always tell me that she was the most calm lab they ever met.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Ender is like this unless it's dinner time or retrieve time. He'll play with his toys sure... but I think usually this is when he's working on a tooth or getting out some frustration 'cause mom and dad wouldn't let him have any of their dinner lol.
    ~Lindsay

Mine's a slug a lot of the time too. He's a really calm, quiet, laid-back lab...been that way from day 1. I even asked the vet if that was normal, and she said yes, that that's one of the traits of labs, to be calm.

When he was yours age, he followed me around a lot too. He'd have 15-20 minutes of spurts of energy, playing, and then would be content to just wander with me inside or out.

He's pretty much still that way now; he's a great retriever, but only keeps it up 20-30 minutes, then he lays down.

Mine has always liked toys and balls...maybe yours will like them more in time. But being calm, I think, is a big plus.

Kathryn Guest

Dakota is 3 months old and shes very calm. She also doesn't have the need to play with a ball... YET My Maggie who is 2 didn't play with a ball till she was close to 5 months old.
    Enjoy the calmness while you have it because she will find her energy!!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

For a start, she is only 12 weeks old and needs a LOT of rest. Her activity level will grow as she matures. If she doesn't want to play, don't make her. Play time should be fun and should never been seen as something to dread. Keep sessions short, sharp and happy. Play sessions should be the highlight of her day.

It could also just be her personality. Not all Labs are high energy. I have met plenty of calm and laid back ones. As a pet, calm Labs are much easier to handle then high drive ones. I've yet to meet a Lab without SOME retrieve drive. For most field type Labs, that instinct is there from the start. Others may need a little encouragement. For some, when the "light" turns on they can't stop. For others retrieving is boring. You get the picture. It depends on the individual.

My Miles is very laid back too. He plays, but he likes to just follow me around or laid down with a chew toy alot. Vet says he's just fine.