Kong didnít work
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kong didnít work

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultKong didnít work

I gave Willow a nice frozen Kong last night about 1/4 filled with a little mashed potatoes and peanut butter to seal the holes she loved the potatoes when my son dropped some on the floor..

She wanted no part of it and proceeded to bark not stop for almost 2 hours.

Maybe I should try something different in the Kong something meat related that may stimulate her senses a little more?

Should I giver her the Kong outside of the crate at first so she can ďlearnĒ what a treat it really is?

My only concern is I live in a two family duplex and I donít want to drive my neighbor/tenant nuts. I own the house so I donít need to worry about Landlords but I try to be a respectable landlord/ neighbor.

My only other choice would be to lock her in my kitchen at night but I have a good size kitchen and this would give her ďfreedomĒ but Iím afraid it would make it difficult to house train her.

Should I just wait it out? Does crate training ever not work?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Kong didnít work

Are you sure she's good and tired from exercise?

Is she normally very food motivated? I could put water with a bit of bouillion (that's probably not spelled right)... and Ender would act like I put a filet mignon in there!
    ~Lindsay

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

How big is she now? Perhaps the frozen kong is too difficult for her to get the food out of.

CoCo couldn't handle the frozen Kong for a while. I started with the large puppy Kong (but moved to the large red when she started chewing little pieces off it) and it was too big for her to get everything out of.

So I started by putting in loose kibble and sealing the ends with PB... this way she could "shake" the kibble out. Its actually quite funny watching her pick the Kong up with her mouth and then "throw" it onto the ground in order to loosen the kibble inside.
    ~Jo & CoCo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I agree...I think tired is the thing. Don't under estimate the energy of a lab puppy. Just when you think Petals is about to lay down....she jumps up and attacks the ball and will jump all over the place. Is your puppy retrieving yet? If she is just keep on throwing the toy and having her get it and retrieve it. Something that me and my wife have done was keep her up till it is ready for her to sleep. So often as puppy owners we are just happy to have quiet time, so if the puppy lays down at lets say 8:00pm we think "Great" but what we don't realize is that around 10 pm the puppy will be up and ready to play. So what we try to do is slow her down around the time for us to go to sleep.

does she like peanut butter not frozen just off your finger what spoon? If she does try just giving it to her unfrozen at first. After she gets the hang of it then you can start freezing it. For Mocha new things take her a good amount of time to figure out how to destroy it....lol at first it took her an hour to eat a pig ear now it's about 2 minutes...lol same with the kong once she figures out what it's all about and that there are treats in it she will get the hang of it and you can start putting more in it and freezing it to make it last longer.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

when do you crate her? Is it only at night, or when you're not there? Where is the crate located?

She needs to learn that the crate does not equal isolation - so feed her in it. Toss treats in it throughout the day. When you're watching tv or answering email, put her in for varying amounts of time. Be matter of fact and business as usual as you put her in and take her out - and make sure you never, ever, ever let her out immediately after she's been barking.

As for the shared house situation, get some flowers, a bottle of wine, whatever, (earplugs?) and a card asking for their patience as you work through this issue with your puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    when do you crate her? Is it only at night, or when you're not there? Where is the crate located?

She needs to learn that the crate does not equal isolation - so feed her in it. Toss treats in it throughout the day. When you're watching tv or answering email, put her in for varying amounts of time. Be matter of fact and business as usual as you put her in and take her out - and make sure you never, ever, ever let her out immediately after she's been barking.

As for the shared house situation, get some flowers, a bottle of wine, whatever, (earplugs?) and a card asking for their patience as you work through this issue with your puppy.

GREAT ADVICE!!*
    Zoe hated her crate at first.* We did as above; putting her in for a little at a time.* She would wail while we were trying to have dinner ... I actually sat down by the crate and sang to her once and she shut up!! lol* She didn't sleep in her crate; we caved and let her sleep with us.* (No problems have stemmed from that!)* Try giving her special treats, etc. that she ONLY gets when she goes in her crate.* I've got two that get their kongs in their crate; they will run and wait inside the crate for me to come with their treats.
    I love the idea about wining and dining the neighbors!!

Dani is offline Senior Member

why are you feeding this to her at night? Like people I don't believe in feeding dogs treats or food past 8PM.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Quote Originally Posted by CoCosMom

So I started by putting in loose kibble and sealing the ends with PB... this way she could "shake" the kibble out.
    I did the same as CoCosMom so the kibble would come out quickly, now he is fine with a frozen one that said I don't pack them up completely sort of eave it a bot loose on the inside.

fburke is offline Senior Member

That is exactly what I did and it seemed to work better.

I have a bag of adult dog food that I have for my buddy that passed away that I donít want it to go to waste . I have been using this in the KONG and sealing it with a slice of cheese.

I only put a small handful of nuggets in it so it makes plenty of noise when it moves around, so far she loves it.

I also moved her crate, last night I left it in my living room and she seemned much better. Maybe itís because this is where she spends most of her time so she;s more comfortable in it.

I also put her in it about a 1;/2 hour before I went to bet and set on my couch she laied down watched me for little while then went to sleep and slept the night.

Thanks for all the advice.!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast