Accidents in hys crate
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accidents in hys crate

DefaultAccidents in hys crate

Buddy was doing real well and then all of the sudden he has pooped in his crate the last 3 out of four nights. Nothing has changed at all any ideas of breakin this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Accidents in hys crate

This happened with Lizzie too, she would go all night without any accidents and then all of a sudden (think it was about 12 weeks) she started to poo in her crate during the night. My friend advised us to give her her last meal earlier in the evening, so instead of feeding her at 8pm we fed her at 6pm, it worked, no more poo. Hope this helps. Good luck.

we feed him at 5:30 and then put him down to rest at 10. It is also way worse of an episode than when he normally goes outside.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

First off, where is the crate? Was his accident solid or diarreah (sp?)?? What about the normal bowel movements during the day? The fact that his accidents are "worse" than during the day could mean he's stressing over the fact that he can't get out or he could have a medical issue going on (worms, giardia, etc...)

JacksandLabs has some good points here. Are you sure your providing your pup time to go outside after eating to have a BM? Allie is like clock work, 20-30 mins right after eating, usually during her play time, she up and stops for a BM. If we dont give her that time, she will have a BM at the park or somewhere else, and I prefer it at the house, cuz its no clean up for me

Do a worm test, its cheap...

If it's runny or somehting I would take a stool sample to the vet to check out. If not try to have a play session a little later at night and see if you can get him to have a BM before he goes to bed. Does he seem stressed in his crate at all?

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I agree w/ all the other posters, but wanted to ask about his crate. Is it blocked off so that he only has a small area (enough to turn around)? It's important that it's this way so that they won't use the bathroom in it.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Once all medical problems have been ruled out, your best bet is sticking to a really firm routine for those first few months. Make sure you note down EVERYTHING the pup eats. Stick to meals and avoid treats. Unless you are training, random treats are not necessary. Feed at the same times every day and make the evening meal no later then 5pm (personally, I would feed at 4pm --always have). Make sure the pup toilets before bed (can you make the last potty run a little later and get up a little earlier?) and get up as early as possible to let him out. Also, you should avoid lots of free roam/play time in the house. The more the pup moves about the more he'll need to go. If you want to play with him, play with him outside.

just being able to respond. Crate is in garage due to the fact that his random whinning kept waking up my one year old. I have blocked off his crate to where he can barely turn around. He is on a very strict schedule. Morning open crate out to pee in eats half his food out to poop back in to eat the rest play for 5 minutes then out again to poop and pee then inside to play for about 10 min and then off for a nap. He is inside all day napping mostly and playing with my 1 yr old daughter. He is such a great dog I just dont get why he is pooping in crate which is about to make him an outside dog for night time because I just dont have the time in the morning to clean out the crate everyday. Oh and poop seems to be about the same just more of it in the crate. When I get home around 7:30 we all play until bedtime. What would be wrong with playing with him all day as he stays in all day.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

When I get home around 7:30 we all play until bedtime. What would be wrong with playing with him all day as he stays in all day.
    Movement stimulates the need to go. If he is absorbed in playing, he may forget to go potty before bed. I would stop playing right up until bed and play in short spurts at random times during the day. Night time should be time to settle down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast