KONG question (updated)

Thread: KONG question (updated)

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultKONG question (updated)

I read a lot of posts about the “Kong” figured this is a must have! should I get the extra large as recommended for Labs or where she is a puppy start out with a smaller one like I have with a few of her other toys.

Also should this only be used as a “special toy” for when she is in her crate or just a normal daily toy?

I read about different things to stuff it with what do you use?

if using peanut butter would the sugar free or low salt be a good choice?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: KONG question

Ender has 4 of the largest of the puppy kongs... he has yet to make any dent in these but as soon as he does, we will move onto the red ones.

As I put in your other thread, Ender's kongs are used as special treats. Frozen, he only gets them when he's going to be in the crate for over an hour. However, we do give him one with freshly smeared pb or cream cheese when we want him to be occupied for a little bit but not crated for a long time.

Google "Kong recipes" We use the Bananarama mostly.

I use plain PB... but with yogurt or cream cheese, I make sure to use low fat.
    ~Lindsay

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Psssst... in order to get your siggy pic to show up... add a [ to the front end of the address.

[IMG].... etc. etc.
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I prefer to use low fat things in the kong. At least by using low fat things I can monitor their intake and don't have to deduct anything from their main meals.

Don't worry about putting an exciting range of flavors in it. They don't really care whats in it as long as its edible. My dogs favorite is simple old yogurt. I buy a large tub of the natural stuff, fill it up, freeze it and serve. Keeps them going for at least 30-45 minutes.

That said, for an extra special treat I will fill it up with all kinds of bits and pieces. I have used a recipe from the kong company website a couple of times that they really loved. I think it was something like peanut butter (plug the bottom/top and wipe around the sides), banana and a couple of biscuits sticking out of the top. Whenever I give them a fatty one I deduct some kibble from their meals.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

No fancy recipes necessary around here. My standard is to mash ripe bananas and mix w/ natural applesauce. Sometimes I mix in plain yogurt (don't give flavored, too much sugar). I've also made them using canned pumpkin with plain yogurt. Basically, we haven't found anything that Sami won't eat ... so the sky is the limit.

Cream cheese or peanut butter is an excellent way to close the holes, but even that isn't necessary.

Mama3tikes is offline Senior Member

I use a few things in the Kong, if it is because Koko will be in her crate for more than 2 hours I give her a kong filled with kibble, peanut butter to seal the bottom fill with water, peanut butter to seal the top freeze overnight! this will keep her working for about an hour! *Her everyday kong, also frozen over night has been stuffed with watermelon put in a ziplock bag and frozen! *We got our first "smile" the first time we gave her this one! *I started with a smaller kong but after a week got her a blue puppy kong, she still uses that but also has a large red one!
    Enjoy
    Terri

I don't even have the XL one for Mocha full grown. I would get a smaller one or a puppy one for the first 5-6 months then as they start to chew it up move to a large red or black one.

I use peanut butter, chez wiz, yogurt, banana, kibble, treats, macaronni and cheese, mashed potatos. If I think ahead or am using the yogurt or something runny I'll freeze it otherwise I just give it unfrozen it dosn't take as long to eat it but still takes a good 20-30 minutes.

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: KONG question (update)

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

I got the KONG I bought the red Large. It recommended the X-Large for Labs but I went with the Large, I can upgrade if necessary I figured she’d out grow the puppy ones too quick.

In the directions it says to put peanut butter or whatever on the inside. Sounds like most of you stuff it as full as you can then freeze it.

I’ll have to experiment, sounds like a good way to get rid of a few left overs also. Nothing like earning your table scraps (healthy ones of course)

DefaultRe: KONG question (updated)

for a small puppy I would not stuff it all the way full maybe only half way if you got the large on. Maybe by 4-5 months you can stuff it all the way. If you do make it full I would cut a little out of one of her meals or just use it as the mid day meal if your still feeding one.