Owch..... Sharp Puppy teeth !!

Thread: Owch..... Sharp Puppy teeth !!

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultOwch..... Sharp Puppy teeth !!

puppy sharp teeth need I say more?

Any suggestions on this stage of puppy hood?

My poor son is taking a beating loves the puppy but puppy doesn’t know it’s own strength yet... not aggressive just playful I know this is normal. just looking for ideas.

Just wondering if there are any creative suggestions out there…for now we’re well stocked with Big Bird band aids… :-\

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Owch..... Sharp Puppy teeth !!

Believe it or not... we got EXTREMELY lucky and never had a problem.

Ender gets TONS of praise whenever he chews on something appropriate... like nylabones or his own toys... of which he has plenty.

Teach "gentle" (treat taking from fingers) and "GOOD KISSES" (licking)... Ender is a big licker now and will spend 2 minutes straight licking my palm... kinda gross but then there is the alternative lol

Also, I really believe plenty of playtime with other pups teaches them not to bite. Ender spent extra time with the breeder and two of his littermates... and also spent a lot of time with my mom's dog. As soon as we could we found neighborhood puppies/dogs that would play with him and took him to doggy day care.

The couple of times he did nip, we used the yelp thing and no bite, holding his upper lip on his teeth.
    ~Lindsay

We are going through this same "stage" right now with Bailey too and it's tough, but we've been trying to keep up with "No Bite" everytime she nips & give her one of her nylabones to chew on instead. We also praise her when chewing the "right" things, like her toys/bones.*
    I haven't seen much improvement yet, but have gotten a lot of good info from this site that this will last until they loose their puppy teeth.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We are going through the same thing with Tug. We consistenly (meaning EVERYTIME) tell him "No Bite" and instantly give him something he can chew on. If he thinks it's a game and comes back for me...we get up and stop playing with him. It's a slow process...but I think it's working. He's not nearly as nippy and stops when you tell him "No Bite". The best advice I can give is being consistent, and have those that visit know and be consistent as well. Keep me posted on how it's working.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tuggers0411
    We are going through the same thing with Tug.* We consistenly (meaning EVERYTIME) tell him "No Bite" and instantly give him something he can chew on.* If he thinks it's a game and comes back for me...we get up and stop playing with him.* It's a slow process...but I think it's working.* He's not nearly as nippy and stops when you tell him "No Bite".* The best advice I can give is being consistent, and have those that visit know and be consistent as well.*
    I couldn't have said it better myself! This is just one of those things that you have to be so consistent with ... and you will see it diminish, but the real improvement comes after the adult teeth are in. I remember a poster from several months back who had an 8 month old who still nipped. Well that's what you get if you aren't consistent now! I know it's frustrating ~ because you think, gee he learned to sit in a day, why is this taking so long? ~ but nipping and biting are very natural canine behaviors. Thankfully with time and lots of consistency, I PROMISE it will go away! ;D

Yup, we're going through it also. The "no bite", giving a chew toy, ignoring, pressing on his tongue with your thumb, "ouch!!", spray bottle etc. etc. all work. But I have to agree that consistency is the catalyst for the hole process. Without it, you have a lesson that won't stick.

I tried gloves at one point because those teeth snagged my hands and everything else. We worked the no bite and the preasure on the snout. This stuff did help, but didn't completely cure it for us, it was more of a reminder to play nice. The gloves was a bad idea, because she figured out that she could play more rough with them on, and even today when I put on gloves she attacks me and butt tucks all over the place and I only put on the gloves ONE TIME. So DONT DO THAT!

Its really a matter of time and they grow out of it, continue with the no bite and keep bandaids in stock... Allie was completely done with nipping at around 6 months.