Kennel training Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kennel training Question

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultKennel training Question

Day 4 of Kennel training.

So far so good, no accidents in the kennel. We’ve been brave and haven’t given in to the pathetic heartbreaking wines and sobs from Willow.

Does he crying stop at some point? Will she learn that the crying is useless and we won’t give in or will she always go through this when I put her in it.

She’s not bad when put her in it at night for bed. Usually I make sure she’s good and tired so she’ll only cry for a few minuets.

It’s in the early AM when I giver her a potty break that she is persistent about her crying

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Kennel training Question

I have the same question and any info. would be appreciated. We are on week 2 of kennel training and Tug doesn't cry at night when we put him in there, but during the day, while we're at work, he's kenneled. My fiance and I stop home periodically throughout the day (our jobs allow us to do that) and take him out but then he whines and cries something terrible when we put him back. Will he eventually get used to the routine? It breaks my heart everytime I hear him whine and cry!!!

The crying does stop. Once and a while Petals will whine and I just say "No!" then she stops.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I get to come home too during the day. At the beginning, I would put Petals in the Kennel about 10 minutes before I would leave. She would settle down then I would leave with no fanfare. Eventually I can now just say "Go Laydown!" and she will go in her Kennel and just laydown.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I'm no expert because I'm home all day ... BUT when I do go out and leave Sami in her crate I always make sure she is tired. I exercise her for an hour first thing every morning, and several times during the day.

Also, are you using Kongs? Sami gets very excited if I say "Do you want a Kong?" She only gets them when I leave and she knows exactly what to do. She runs to the refridgerator gets her Kong and then goes straight to the crate.

With puppies, and dogs in general, it's all about routine. Once your pups learn the routine of your household, they will stop crying/whining.

I am not home for 8 hours a day. I come home for lunches occasionally and have my sister go over to my place when I cannot. Dash has been in a kennel since day one of us bringing him home. Its now been a total of 4 weeks, and he loves his kennel. He knows in the am after breakfast, potty, and play time that as soon as I go and get him a "good boy treat" in the kitchen he'll run right in the kennel with his tail wagging. He used to whine and cry, but it only lasted about 2 weeks total. When he heres me come in for lunch, hell start to cry and bark, but thats out of excitement I think.

It does get better though! Just keep the kennel as a postive place for your lil one and use some TOUGH LOVE, as they say and let him whine himself to sleep.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

What procedure are you following for daytime crating?

Here's what we have done for Ender and works really well...

Firstly, we make him some frozen kongs the night before. When he sees us going into the freezer and pulling out a kong he knows and immediately starts prancing around... going into his crate without even a command and waits for you to give it to him.

Secondly, we turn on the radio or play our ipod + speakers with an audiobook or some comedy... something soothing...

Thirdly, we leave immediately with no fanfare. No anxious goodbyes no walking around for 15 minutes... we want to be GONE by the time that frozen kong is done and that usually takes him 40-45 minutes.
    ~Lindsay

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ender's Mom
    we leave immediately with no fanfare.*
    YUP -- This is very important -- do not leave OR return w/ fanfare. I know it's hard, but try to be pretty business-like about it.

fburke is offline Senior Member

For daytime crating what I do is before I leave for work I take her outside usually I give her water about ˝ hour before I leave then taker her outside to “do business’ let her run a little.

We work locally so I or my wife stops home for a few min (don’t tell my Boss ) for a mid morning potty break.

I’m home for lunch so I play with her and let her run around in the yard, some more water when I get home another potty break before I leave.

Wife gets home about 2 hours after lunch with child…. Child loves puppy!! and plays chase or rather keep away from puppy teeth :-\

After dinner it’s a good walk to the local park to tire puppy out and for mom and dad to get a little exercise, Puppy good excuses to get of the couch !

Tire puppy out before bed time no water after 8:00 bed around 11:00 with potty break right before bed.

Puppy usually gets a late potty break around 3:00am process repeats it’s self starting at 5:30 am.

Wow my life is such a routine !!…

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Do you just put her in the crate or do you give her some treat or frozen kong? Does she have toys and/or bone in there?
    ~Lindsay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast