puppy
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: puppy

bluedove Guest

Defaultpuppy

Hi does anyone know why a puppy from 8 weeks to 1 year would eat its own poo?
    she is eating 4 meals a day, as advices from the breeder.
    thanks,
    and yes i do pick her poo up as soon as possible but very difficult 24/7 example middle of night.
    thank you for your replies, and the helpful hints with pineapple and forbid!
    im sorry if you all got upset with the fact i sold a dog for poo eating but i did read up on the fact that if a dog licks a childs face after eating poo it can cause blindness in the child, so i put my childrens eye sight over the dog, im sorry if you dont like that but at the time i didnt get any help from breeders or the vets about the problem with poo eating, i was on my own with no internet or help so i put my children first, i do not regret my actions i just wish i could have got help from anyone back then 12 years ago, like im getting now from yous now and i would still have my old dog whom is dead now god rest her sold,a day hasnt gone by that i dont miss my 1st labrador 'holly' thank you for your advice.
    DASHSMUM .............advice helpfull,thank you,,
    thankyou for your reply, i am begining to wish i hadnt joined this sight, i only came on here for ADVICE and you and a couple of other replies have helped but everyone eles just seems to want to moan about my actions, when at the time i had 2 young toddlers and was scared for them becoming blind because of the puppy eating poo, and licking their faces, the pup was 1* 1/2 years old when i sold her, THIS IS TO THE MOANERS.... dont you think i did pick the poo up but during the night when everyone asleep i cant sit with the dog 24/7 picking poo up, please can people give advice and stop moaning for crying out loud!
    Tasmans Mom,,,,,,,,,,,, hi thank you for your advice will try anything, we are doing the 'leave it' and it seems to be starting to work during the day time when we take her into the yard/garden after she wakes up and after she has eaten, we do clean it up straight away and fuss her when she does it outside, so seems to be working so far finger crossed.... thanks
    I AM NOT SELLING MY PUPPY! i never was, thank you from a UK owner..

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: puppy

Okay, I won't even address the fact that you got rid of a dog for eating poop.* : I'll just answer your question.* The easy answer is to pick it up immediately after you puppy goes.* You could also work on teaching the command "leave it".* *Some other suggestions: you can get a product called "Forbid" which you add to your dog's food and it will make the poop taste bad.* This should be available at your local petshop.* You could also try 1 spoonful of canned pineapple as it is supposed to have the same effect.

Okay, I know I said I wouldn't address this, but I just can't help myself:* Most of us on this board view dog ownership as a lifetime commitment.* I hope that you will take your responsibility to your puppy as seriously.* *In the big scheme of things ... yes, poop eating is gross ... but for the life of me, I can't imagine that it would make you give up your dog.* Stick around here -- you'll see that there are things that are much worse.*

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I am curious if there were other easons for selling the dog? If you search here you'll find that Labs seem to like eating poop of different varieties..cat poop seems to be especially tasty to a Lab. Obviously it is tasty to them and gross to us but there are ways of dealing with it so they don't eat it.

As ThatsMyGirl stated the leave it command would be the long term solution.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'm with you, That's My Girl.*

Where I work, it is known that I love labs and I am often notified of a lab that's a great dog but needs a home. This time, being our first pup of our own since we got married, we decided we wanted a pup and wanted to research a good breeder and all that this time. Our next lab may be a rescue because I feel very strongly about these lab's need for a good home. But I get really disgusted sometimes by the reasons I am given that people don't want their lab anymore. The last one I got, when someone heard I was shopping for a breeder, was that their daughter and son-in law wanted to get rid of their 1 year old black lab because they were having a baby and wanted it out before the baby came home. Can you imagine? I was then told that this was a really nice lab, he is just fat. Okay, I ask you, why must they get rid of the dog before the baby comes and why is he fat? Obviously neglected and probably a behavior problem because of it. It makes me furious to think of it.

I guess my point is, I feel very strongly that, like having a baby, you adopt a dog for life, for better or worse, they are now a part of your family and don't just get rid of them when they become inconvenient. You deal with the issue and move on.

I realize that there times when circumstances are just beyond your control and you have to rehome your dog, it happens, but rarely.

bluedove Guest

im sorry if you all got upset with the fact i sold a dog for poo eating but i did read up on the fact that if a dog licks a childs face after eating poo it can cause blindness in the child, so i put my childrens eye sight over the dog, im sorry if you dont like that but at the time i didnt get any help from breeders or the vets about the problem with poo eating, i was on my own with no internet or help so i put my children first, i do not regret my actions i just wish i could have got help from anyone back then 12 years ago, like im getting now from yous now and i would still have my old dog whom is dead now god rest her sold,a day hasnt gone by that i dont miss my 1st labrador 'holly' thank you for your advice.

Awww. You're right, I do know alot more about puppy care thanks to the net and this board!!

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluedove
    You mentioned selling this current puppy if they eat poop as well... do you have a young child again that you are concerned about now 12 years later?
    ~Lindsay

bluedove Guest

Hi, no we are not selling this puppy, we have much more help and advice now a days with this internet, and i have since found out that its a normal thing for most puppies to eat their own poo.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Words fail...

What vet worth his salt (even in the 'dark ages' of 12 years ago : )wouldn't instantly recognize Coprophagia and offer advice on how to solve it???

Dani is offline Senior Member

no...it's not really normal for puppies to eat their own poop. Supervise, clean up it's poop, and cut back to 3 meals a day.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast