Petals met with a Trainer

Thread: Petals met with a Trainer

DefaultPetals met with a Trainer

Well yesterday my wife and I met with the trainer from Georgia K9. It was very interesting and informative. Ashleigh (the trainer) brought one of her 8 week old German Shepard puppies with her. Right off the bat Petals went to go tackle him. I wanted my wife to go thru all the exercises so she can get a good feeling. Well first off when Ashleigh sat down on the ground, Petals basically jumped her and started her play biting. Then Ashleigh grabbed Petals and put her hand under Petals muzzle and closed her mouth and started saying "No!" until Petals settled down. Once Petals settled down then she gave her a "Good Girl" and let her go. If Petals came back at her she proceeded with the grab and "No!" routine again.

Ashleigh explained to my wife that all this play biting and barking is a sign of Petals asserting her dominance. By holding Petals and letting her settle down lets Petals know that she is the boss (my wife) and that Petals should listen to her. As long as we are consistent, I think this will settle Petals down and also instill the word "No!" to her.

We went over a couple of more handling things, good toys, bad toys, and some other basic things, but what I want to talk a little about is the interesting take she had on correction collars. Let me explain where I am coming from then explain what she had said. My last puppy, ZuZu, was a "choker" collar baby. It worked for her and worked well. So naturally I would think that it would work for Petals. My sister who is a holistic type of a dog owner only believes in treat training. I don't like that because I know how smart my last dog was and she was smart enough to know if I don't have a treat then she wouldn't have to listen to me. So I asked what types of methods she uses in her training. She swears by eCollars (shock collars) for the people who don't know what I am talking about. Now to be honest I am not opposed to eCollars just a little sensitive about it. My wife on the other hand, who is a baby about pain to a dog, is totally for it. This is definitely a subject that me and my wife will have to consider seeing that Petals is going to be a pistol. I know people on this forum believe strongly on both sides of the issue, but I look forward to talking about it. It just seems to me that some dogs need a little more of a push to get into line then the average correction collar.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Petals met with a Trainer

I'm glad you enjoyed you're meeting with your new trainer. Is there any reason you're not trying a group class? the problems your dealing with are completly normal for a young pup. Good luck with the training

FWIW, it's a bit scary to me that the trainer is already thinking choke collar (not to mention e-collar) on a 10 week old puppy.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Ditto what Nicole said...
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

1) I did ask about group sessions and she did tell me that she does 1on1 and will work 1on1 in a dog park situation and in situations around people and other dogs. The reason she doesn't like group training sessions is that everydog trains differently and what works for one dog doesn't work for the other dog. She makes sense there and that leads me to the next question ask.

2) She didn't tell me that using a eCollar on Petals is what she suggests. What she was telling me that most of her dogs she trains use eCollars. She said if I want to work with Petals not using a eCollar she has no problem with that.

She was very open minded about the whole thing. She also mentioned that I was very informed about the whold subject of training, THANKS TO THIS BOARD!!!!!! She added even if I don't use her that she knows that I will do the right thing for Petals, just by what she has seen me doing with her.

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

This puppy is way to young for an e-collar. I see some definite red flags here. Try to find a puppy kindergarten class for Petals. If you like this class, then later you can go to a one on one trainer, if that's what you want. You are the one that is going to have to train your puppy.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie