Puppy Kindergarten Class: Take # 2

Thread: Puppy Kindergarten Class: Take # 2

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppy Kindergarten Class: Take # 2

Well, I have to say this puppy-k class was not nearly an ejoyable as our first class last week... there were a zillion puppies, which was actually not bad and they were pretty cute, but every puppy came with 1-2 adults plus many many little kids! I was beginning to wonder if it was a real kindergarten class! Well, I guess its good to involve the kids in the training, but it was pretty destracting when the trainer was trying to demonstrate something and a little girl kept letting go of her (CUTE) King Charles Cavelier puppy..... the same puppy I dearly wanted to smuggle home with me, it was the cutest thing I have ever seen!

Oh, and there were TWO 'doodles... a goldendoodle and a chocolate labradoodle... I was screaming internally at the owners "your dog is f'ugly and you probably paid out your nose for a mixed breed that may or may not have the specific breed traits you hoped for!"

A few good things about the class.... CoCo is such a social girl! She played very well with all the puppies, from the wee ones to the big ones (ranging from the KCC and yorkies to the rotties and labs and goldens), and was never dominant or aggressive. She thought everyone was her friend. If someone didn't seem to want to play, she's do the play bow a few times to entice them, and then move on to the next puppy. The closest she came to attaching to one dog was a female golden retreiver puppy that is her exact size, but even then she didn't spend all of her time with her. Also, the trainer gave a brief introduction to clicker training, and I think it is really going to work well. One of the labs in the class had already been introduced to clicker training, so got quite excited when she started clicking away! haha...

The trainer DID remark that CoCo is a little chuncky! OOPS! I can see it too. But rather than cutting back on her kibble I think we will cut back on treats and up her exercise. We haven't been consistent with walking her, choosing to play in the yard or house some times instead, but I think we really need to walk her every night after supper to build her stamina up and then we can play and train afterwards.

Next week we are missing the class because it is my husband's graduation dinner/dance. After that there is just one more week of puppy-K before we start beginner obedience! Yay!
    ~Jo & CoCo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puppy Kindergarten Class: Take # 2

LOL... in my head I'm not nearly as articulate... "YOU HAVE A MIX!"

For me... the Puppy K is all about training with distractions. So far, nothing the trainer has talked about has been new to me. Oh... and it's awesome to "show off" how well trained Ender allready is. I'm sure I'll have a rude awakening in the next class!
    ~Lindsay

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

LOL Lindsay... I probably was much less articulate in my head at the time!

Our puppy-k class is very basic. There really is no training that goes on in the class. I guess since its a drop-in class, there really couldn't be any progressive training. What does happen is a lot of puppy play time, interrupted for periods of sitting in a circle with your puppy listening to the trainer talk about behavioral basics, handling your puppy as she directs and watching her basic training demonstrations.

I am looking forward to the obedience class so we can start getting to the nitty gritty, but we've been working a bit with CoCo and she does know her basic commands. The obedience class will be great for finding out what I am doing wrong, training CoCo in a destracting environment and also having greater consistency and progression.
    ~Jo & CoCo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CoCosMom
    I was screaming internally at the owners "your dog is f'ugly and you probably paid out your nose for a mixed breed that may or may not have the specific breed traits you hoped for!"
    This cracked me up!

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

I will give the Golden Retriever/Poodle mix in our class a tad bit of credit as he is WAY cuter than the ugly terrier mix

I didn't think there was such a thing as an ugly puppy... but there is!
    ~Lindsay

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Ohh there are definitely ugly puppies and babies too...My friend and I had this argument one time and so we ended up in the mall to prove each other wrong...after several trips...I proved her wrong hehe..yeah I know sounds kinda mean but in my defense hey! we were 16! There's a lot worse we coulda been doing instead...

That is awesome that Coco is such a social butterfly! ;D
    Buck was a little scared of other pups and dogs in general when he started Puppy K...he had never been around any dogs since he left his littermates at 8 weeks and we started puppy when he was 11 weeks old...But it took him two sessions and he turned into a popular guy! hehe
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

[quote author=CoCosMom Oh, and there were TWO 'doodles... a goldendoodle and a chocolate labradoodle...* I was screaming internally at the owners "your dog is f'ugly and you probably paid out your nose for a mixed breed that may or may not have the specific breed traits you hoped for!"

LOL!! I bristle everytime anyone excitedly tells me they now breed labradoodles or silver labs (aka labereiners). Don't get me wrong, I love weimereiners but if I want a lab, I want lab!