Bad Breath

Thread: Bad Breath

DefaultBad Breath

This week Allie has been very inactive. Today its to the point that im slightly concerned. I noticed that she has bad breath, its not horriable, but its something she has never really had before.

I was reading on yahoo that bad breath can be caused by oral bacteria that has infected her gums and can cause health issues.

Shannon is going to take her to the vet tomorrow if we can get an apointment, but I wanted to see what others had experience.

Your advice would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bad Breath

It's almost always a sign of gum infection. Teeth cleaning followed by regular brushing opf teeth or use of raw bones would help.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Sorry, no advice. I hope whatever it is, will be gone fast with the vet's help.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jack had to go to the vet once for that and THANK GOD it was just the treats not a gum infection and his teeth looked great she said

But we brush and give him the bones that help clean his teeth

Good Luck hope everything okay with Allie

Took Allie to the vet, they didn't find anything. They wanted to run like 300 dollars worth of tests to see if she had a blockage, but I told them she was going number two just fine. We also told them that shes not laying around all day, but she seems more tired/less interested in playing for as long as she did about a month ago. Also in the mornings, she perfers to sleep in with me instead of playing with Shannon while she gets ready for work. Maybe its her maturing and the puppy play is leaving. She is 1 year this month.

We told the vet we would hold off on all those tests until we didnt see improvement or we noticed she was getting worse.

We will probably get some dental bones to help with the breath to see if that fixes that. We may be blowing this out of proportion, but we want to be sure.

Any thoughts?

Happy to hear Allie is okay - you can also try the breath strips for dogs we have them for Jack and it is so funny to see his reaction to them

Jack is also the same way in the morning he is 11 months (yesterday) and all of a sudden he is less interested in playing in the morning but would prefer to actually sit on the couch and watch the morning news and have me pet him and give him bellyrubs ;D

I also think it is maybe they are maturing (like you said) and maybe some of those puppy play times are over.

I dont think you blow anything out of proportion I would have gone to the vet too if I thought something was wrong with Jack.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Glad that the vet didn't find anything seriously wrong. I just wanted to add a suggestion. Probiotics often work wonders w/ dog breath ;D You can use the human ones -- acidophilus, etc. You can't overdo it w/a dose or so a day.

Glad to hear it was nothing serious!

Kodi occaisionally has breath that will make your eyes water. I usually chaulk it up to sneaking deer turds along the trail!!

I appreciate all of your concern. Allie seems to be doing a lot better and is more willing to play in the afternoons. Also thanks for the dental bone tip - it seems to be working and her teeth look sparkling ;D