Trip to the Vet - Too much at one time?

Thread: Trip to the Vet - Too much at one time?

ceset Guest

DefaultTrip to the Vet - Too much at one time?

Hi all. So, we're taking Cody back to the vet for his 16 week puppy shots next friday. He's also scheduled for rabies, kennel cough (since i forgot to ask for that last time) and I'd like to get him microchipped. This may be a dumb question, but is that too much at one time for my little pup? It is OK for him to have all those vaccines flowing through him at the same time?

I could take him in this week for the kennel cough and the microchipping and then next week for rabies and puppy shots though I don't want to pay for another office visit if I don't have to! : )

thanks!
    christine

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Trip to the Vet - Too much at one time?

I did all Mocha's shots together (don't remember if the KC was in there though) and didn't have any trouble. I know others will only give the rabies by it's self though because there can be serious complications with it in some dogs.

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

CoCo had her KC with her second shots, and then her rabies with her third series shots. She didn't have an issue, but that does not mean that other dogs would not.

Not sure about the microchipping in the same visit. The vaccines didn't seem to bother CoCo at all, like she didn't feel them. The microchip would be different, but I'm not sure if having it done in a seperate visit would make a difference.
    ~Jo & CoCo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

There are several problems with giving all the vaccines together.* The first being that it overtaxes the immune system.* The second being that if there is a reaction, you won't know which vaccine caused it.* I believe that the distemper vaccine is the one most likely to cause problems (at least that is the one that sent my 6 yr old ferret into anaphylatic shock even before I left the vet's office). Also, just because your dog didn't have an issue last time or this time, doesn't mean he won't have a reaction next time (that was the case with the ferret).* The anitbodies build up over time so you never know when a reaction might occur.

I would recommend kinda what your thinking...do bordatella (if you have to) and microchip this week, last puppy shot next week and then wait at least a week (preferably more) before doing rabies.