Questions for a Trainer

Thread: Questions for a Trainer

DefaultQuestions for a Trainer

Hey all,
    Well I made an appointment for My wife, Petals and I with a trainer for Thursday. It seems like their puppy kindergarden is really only a one time thing that doesn't cost a lot. The trainer will sit with us and give us some instruction on how to handle the everyday things that Petals puts us thru. I also think this will be great for my wife because she will listen to a trainer. So I got the appointment (only like $60 for over an hour) and I think this is going to be good for us to test the trainer out for further training. A couple of questions.

1) Their website is http://www.gak9.com...and they were trained by http://www.nk9.com... has anyone had any experience with people who were trained by http://www.nk9.com?

2) Can you guys help me with questions I should bring to a trainer that are important and maybe why they are important?

Thanks ahead of time

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Questions for a Trainer

The best way to pick a trainer is to go to their site.. I mean phyisically observe how and where they're teaching (not their Web site!).

Take a look at the classes. What's the teacher-to-student ratio? How are they run? Is he/she married to one way of training or are numerous solutions to a single problem offered? What methodology does he/she use? Treat training? Reinforcement? Specialized training methods like Schutzhund?? What's her policy on collars and leashes? Does he/she require you to purchase equipment and if so, is it ONLY from him/her? If so, Why? What's the policy for correcting dogs? Are only handlers to correct or is staff allowed as well and are you comfortable with that? Do people look stressed or are they having fun? What's the dropout rate? Is there time in each class for questions? How much individual time do students get? At lot? None at all?? What's the policy for missing classes? Making them up? Getting a refund?

What are the trainers creds? How long has he/she been doing this? Are his/her dogs titled? Are they onsite? Can you see them in action?? Does she/he offer all forms of obed, from simple house manners to agility/rally competition?? Is he/she certified to give the CGC test? Judge at shows? Any other dog training creds??

Written any books? Offered any videos??

Last - talk to the students. What do they like/dislike? What would they change? Would they go again?

I'm probably forgetting a dozen questions that others will fill in.....

You have a lot of question in there talking about group settings. Do you think that group is better then one on one. I believe that is what this trainer is "one on one". Should I ask for some people who have used her? do you think it is wrong to see how she works with other peoples animals? I know I will get a good or bad vibe from her when she comes over. I was just wondering your suggestions on "one on one" trainers

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would definately ask for referals and check them. As for if you want one on one or group it's up to you. I prefer group lessons because it gets Mocha used to working around other dogs and people and it also give me the chance to talk to people about their dogs and experiences. If there were specific behavioral problems I wanted to work on I would probably do a few one on one classes to work them out. It really depends on what your goal is in training.

Dani is offline Senior Member

I would think that one on one training would be better down the line. Group training is sooooo good at the younger stages because of the socialization and distractions.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Even if it were 1:1, I'd ask the trainer to ask one of her students if it would be okay for you to sit on the sidelines while they work. I'd still want to see for myself how the trainer works.

Thank you.