Question re recall (xposted to obedience)

Thread: Question re recall (xposted to obedience)

DefaultQuestion re recall (xposted to obedience)

I've bitten the bullet (I don't know why teaching recall scares me so) and done the first ten of the 10,000 practices that Dweck says are necessary to teach a good recall. (Actually I've done more than that, counting the short ones in the house which are almost 100%.) Today I attached a 50 foot line and went out in the backyard. I threw the ball, he got it, if he came back immediately I had a party, and threw it again which is not any different than the normal game. But sometimes he wanted to make his victory lap or go check out the squirrel at which point I picked up the line and reeled him in. (having called him first) My question is: Do I reel him in to where I was when I first called him, or is it sufficient to reel him in to wherever I have to go to pick up the line?
    Side note: I also had his favorite treat (salami) as an additional reward for when he came to me, but he would have none of it. Just wanted the ball thrown. That didn't surprise me, but I thought I'd try.
    TIA

Frances

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question re recall (xposted to obedience)

Bring him AAAAAAAAALLL the way in. He should be sitting in front of you, looking up, with his toes almost touching your toes.

The idea is that you should be able to reach down and easily touch his head. Any further than that, and you're risking game-play. Where you reach for him, and he skibbles off, giggling. "Dad-dee can't get me!! Ha-ha-de-HA-ha!"

Quote Originally Posted by dweck
    Bring him AAAAAAAAALLL the way in. He should be sitting in front of you, looking up, with his toes almost touching your toes.

The idea is that you should be able to reach down and easily touch his head. Any further than that, and you're risking game-play. Where you reach for him, and he skibbles off, giggling. "Dad-dee can't get me!! Ha-ha-de-HA-ha!"
    Hey dweck i was wondering what kind line you should use. I have a 50' with that plastic coating on it and he is more interested in the line then the ball.......what do you think???

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Should be fine -- It can even be a hunk of cotton clothesline. As long as you can reel him in when needed. If he's playing w/the rope, teach LEAVE IT! first.

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

I like climbing rope. It is light, made not to tangle, and is available in many different weights. You can get it at REI or EMS or any outdoor store.

sounds like a good idea...how much is climbing rope???