Return of the bathing question....
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Return of the bathing question....

DefaultReturn of the bathing question....

Last time I responded about this question people ripped my head off about me giving my pup to many baths. Its not like i give him one everyday. Maybe once everyother week, he is a pup and gets pertty dirty.

This is for all you that say bathing is not good for their skin, yes i agree "over" bathing him can be bad with not using the right soap, but he is a LAB, what lab doesn't like water. They are known for being very good swimmers, they are hunting dogs.

I live on a lake and at 14 weeks Chance already loves to jump off the end of the dock and it isn't even summer yet. Once summer comes along he might be in the lake a few times a week............is this going to be bad for his skin. I asked my vet about this as well, all he said was make sure you keep his ears clean after being in the water....

What do you guys do who have the hunting labs that are always getting wet and dirty. I just don't know what to think, some people say its horrible for his skin.....others say he is a lab, they are meant to be in and around water.

Just want to know what you guys think.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Return of the bathing question....

a) It's your dog. You can do whatever you want. If you want to bathe one an hour, that's your perogative.

b) It's not so much the water that does damage, it's the soap. Even dog-friendly soap.

c) In general, there's nothing your dog can get into that can't be brushed out. Which gives every advantage of a bath but has none of the drawbacks.

But all that said, see a) above....

We have 2 big ponds at our neighbor's, and mine's been swimming for the past few weeks, with the weather warmer now. *I've had him there 2-3 times a week sometimes.

We also have creeks nearby; he jumps in those too...one of them's deep enough he can swim in it, too, instead of jumping, playing and splashing.

Our vet just said clean his ears after he swims. *Ours is a year old now, but hasn't had a bath yet (by bath, I mean soap and water bath). *If he gets muddy paws from creeks (which he does), it's cleaning with a wet washcloth and drying with a towel, if he's going to come inside right away. *After he swims, I don't even dry him off...he plays in the yard, and stays outside usually for quite a while, and dries.

Maybe the disagreement over baths concerns actual baths using soap or shampoos. *Lab coats contain oils which can dry out and cause skin problems if bathed too much. *Baths using just water to wash them shouldn't be a problem, I don't think. *Others can explain this more fully.

But you're right, labs are water dogs; I wouldn't think being in water a lot could hurt them. *Someone else may be able to say better if this isn't true.

When Tucker's come out of a creek, or the pond, and has muddy paws/feet....when he dries, he's clean as a whistle; he doesn't dry muddy or dirty. *His coat feels wonderful too, and there's no smell of pond water on him. *

He's needed to lose weight too (put it on over winter). *With being outside so much now, playing, running, and swimming, he's dropped pounds fast already.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I agree, i don't see how water/lake water can hurt them, i can see using soap can effect there coat. My vet told me to use this all natural soap that has the oils and sea kelps that help get keep a labs coat healthily.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Yes... Chance... the trouble is the soap... not simply getting wet. I'm hesitant to use ANYTHING on Ender, even all natural whatever, 'cause he just doesn't need it and my mom's dog, who gets "frequent" baths has flaky skin. Unless Ender rolls in something especially stinky, I won't be bathing him with soap... just water
    ~Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by dweck
    a) It's your dog. You can do whatever you want. If you want to bathe one an hour, that's your perogative.

b) It's not so much the water that does damage, it's the soap. Even dog-friendly soap.

c) In general, there's nothing your dog can get into that can't be brushed out. Which gives every advantage of a bath but has none of the drawbacks.

But all that said, see a) above....
    I think you were the one that got down on me last time about this and i see you aren't going to cut me any slack again. But anywho, I agree that some soap can effect there skin. The soap I have is meant for labs and you really don't use a lot of it. If you look at how many different kinds of soaps are out there for dogs its crazy.........they wouldn't be making all these soaps if it were bad for dogs. Yes there might be some bad soaps out there but in general there is a reason why there is such a big market for it.

Yes i could just brush him and i do that very often. My pup likes water, so thats the reason he gets bathes and its not always with soap, he just likes to get wet

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Can I ask a really simple question:

If you didn't like 'our' advice last time on this issue, why raise it again? What, did you think we've all had a huge change of heart or something??

I'm not sure at all what you expect from this thread....... But I'll say it one more time: See option a) above.

The reason i brought it up again is b/c this happened, you getting snappy and the orginal question no being answered.

I NEVER said anything about not liking peoples advice, infact the people on this forum are AWSOME and have helped very very much. You are the one that gets snappy with me......

I all i want to know is, will his coat/skin get messed up if he is in the lake all the time and if there are any hunting labs out there that are always gettting wet and muddy and what their owner does about it.

Think this post may have been killed..............so, I assume most people don't see a problem with there labs being in the water all time and a lot of people don't like doggy soap.........sounds good to me.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Chance,

If Dan or others sound "snappy" or "short" to you, it's probably because they are used to answering the same questions over and over and tend to write as succintly as possible. If you ask for advice, you will get advice.

It has allways been pretty clear to me and in the other bathing thread that it's the SOAP that is a problem. Labs simply don't NEED to be "washed" with soap.

Of course they are water dogs and of course water in and of itself isn't harmful to them. You have to watch those ears though of course.

The questions was asked and answered.

If you think you've found a "lab-friendly" soap... then why not post, "Hi everyone, check out this new soap I found [linky]... do you think it's okay to use on my dog?"
    ~Lindsay

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast