HELP! Terror Child
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Terror Child

DefaultHELP! Terror Child

Please, please help me help my poor Grace.

Abby (5mos) will not leave my Italian Greyhound, Grace (10yrs) alone. She does not try to hurt her but she is driving her crazy. I have had great luck thus far with training Abby (sit, stay, come, lie down, she retrieves...); however, I can NOT get her to listen to me when I tell her NO Grace or Leave Her. She chases her around every chance she gets. Grace has taken to hiding in my bed and only coming out if I hold Abby by to collar. Every time she gets down on her own Abby goes after her and chases her and nips at her legs. Yesterday Abby chased Grace all the way from outside up the stairs and onto my bed, when I got there she had her pinned to the bed. Grace tries to defend herself and yips and bites at Abby but she is old and does not have many teeth so this mostly amounts to her "gumming" Abby.

I am at my wits end and don't know what to do. Grace's life has become miserable because she can't get away from Abby.

Your advice and words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

Elaine and Poor Grace

Abby after Grace while we are on a walk.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: HELP! Terror Child

Keep Abby leashed, and practice self control exercises around Grace. Work on sit or downstay as Grace walks through the room - eventually, once she's rock solid with Grace walking, try Grace trotting, then running, then throw a toy for Grace. (you'll probably need a helper for this)

She's young, and chasing is SO much fun - especially if Grace can't/won't correct her for being such a brat. So you'll have to be the fun police.

Even if you have to keep her on a leash in the house. You may have to do that until she learns "no Grace"

Poor Grace!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

It is certainly not abnormal for a pup to behave this way. Sadly if you have an older dog its often part of the package. Abby just wants to play. I agree that you should keep her leashed and teach her some manners when she is around Grace. It is essential to do this now, while Abby is young, particularly because when she is older she will be much larger than your Italian Greyhound.

Make sure she gets plenty of interaction/play time with other dogs. Do you know anyone with a puppy and/or young dog (preferably a Lab)? if you do, arrange a play date. You should also sign her up for a puppy class if you haven't already.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Frankly - I'd let them sort it out amongst themselves. When Grace has had enough, she'll let Abby know. It IS perfectly normal for these kinds of battles to go on between a pup and an oldster. One of two things will happen - The pup will continue to assert him- herself and end up ahead of the pack from the older dog. OR, the oldster will put the pup in his/her place and remain ahead.

Either way, it's best for them to sort it out. Unless there's bloodshed, I'd leave it to them to settle it.

I see this everytime I go to the dog park. Right now Petals is 9.5 weeks old and is in the small dog area. She fines one dog that will play rough and they go at it. I let them go, but the other owners don't like it because Petals gets the best of the smaller dogs. I took her to the big dog park and she was the same way, but took the worst of it. The other owners would come over and say "Sorry" and I would tell them no problem she has to learn. There is never any blood and only dirty dogs.

Thank you all for your words of advice. I know Abby is just trying to play and hopefully one day all will be calm, I just feel sorry for Grace since she's an old, set in her ways, crotchety, spoiled rotten dog!

Elaine, Abby & Poor Grace

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by shamrox

I see this everytime I go to the dog park. Right now Petals is 9.5 weeks old and is in the small dog area. She fines one dog that will play rough and they go at it. I let them go, but the other owners don't like it because Petals gets the best of the smaller dogs. I took her to the big dog park and she was the same way, but took the worst of it. The other owners would come over and say "Sorry" and I would tell them no problem she has to learn. There is never any blood and only dirty dogs.
    SHAMROX - This is completely off the topic, but I believe you should rethink taking Petals to a dog park. At 9.5 weeks your puppy hasn't had all of it's vaccinations and a dog park is a prime place to pick up viruses -- some of which can be fatal. Please be careful.

My wife and I are going through a similar situatuation w/ Harley and our two terriers. Rocky our Jack Russel loves to play by tugging and biting (very gently while suppervised), but Pete our Rat Terrier stays on the sidelines and barks. When Harley gets excited Pete runs and hides or bares his teeth and snarles and snaps. We are only regulating things a little for now, letting them work out the "pecking order". We want Harley to learn the other dog's limits now, so that when he's 10x's their size they'll all be ok with each other. By the way Pete was our first dog and give him lots of lovin' since we brought Harley home. Don't want him to feel we love him any less.

pj

oh poor grace.

we had a similar situation in my household. i have a now 11yr old golden girl (who prior to theo had been the spoiled rotten only child for all 10yrs of her life!) and a 1.5 yr old male lab who terrorized her at the beginning. i felt so bad for her but she handled it herself.

she took/tolerated as much as she wanted from the lil rug rat as a pupster and put him in his place when necessary. she was and still is the alpha and now they get along fine.

good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast