New Crate Question

Thread: New Crate Question

DefaultNew Crate Question

Hello,

Tess has just turned 13 weeks and will soon out grow her medium sized crate. We are ready to move up to the large crate however we are wondering whether or not we should go with a crate like the one we have (Plastic two piece with steel door) or a traditional wire cage. I prefer the traditional crate like the one we have but Tess seems like she is always hot inside her crate so maybe the wire version would be better. Let us know your thoughts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: New Crate Question

I only have two 42" wire crates. I don't have the plastic variety, so I can't say, but it makes sense that you would get more air circulating through the wire ones.

Seems like CoCos Mom had the plastic kind and was concerned about CoCo overheating. Maybe she'll chime in. Here was her post about that: https://justlabradors.com/forum/index.php?topic=2624.0

Tasman has also turned 13 weeks today and we have only used the wire crate. We put a blanket
    over it during the night, so it has a little more of a "cosy" feeling.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tasmans Mom
    Tasman has also turned 13 weeks today and we have only used the wire crate. We put a blanket
    over it during the night, so it has a little more of a "cosy" feeling.
    The covering over the crate sounds like a good idea...cool!

When I get my new puppy I have already decided to get the wire kind. Besides, since Labs like to spend time with you I felt it might be good to get one so he can see everything...

This may sound dumb but do all of your dogs get crated at night ( door closed ) or do they choose to sleep in them?

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by xlx_chelsea_xlx
    This may sound dumb but do all of your dogs get crated at night ( door closed ) or do they choose to sleep in them?
    Dogs have to reach a certain maturity level (read non-destructive ;D) before they can be trustworthy at night. Sami is just 10 months old and she is crated at night. She is a great sleeper and doesn't mind at all -- it's really just part of her routine. There are lots of folks on the board whose dogs aren't crated at night or during the day when they are away. I think it depends on the dog and what they are capable of

We have a wire crate as well that we cover with a blanket at night. We also have her favroite blanket on the bottom of the hard crate *knock on wood* she hasn't had an accident inside her crate with the blanket there.

Miles will be crated at night and when we aren't home. Bailey was 1 1/2 before he could be trusted outside his crate unsupervised. That is not unusual. I have a friend with 2 Goldens. One was trustworthy out of crate at about that age. Her other one is almost 4 and still can't be trusted unsupervised. They are all different, but labs tend to mature slowly.