4 months old... what's next?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 months old... what's next?

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Default4 months old... what's next?

Ok... so Ender is 4 months old now and we are running pretty smoothly now. 3 weeks with no accidents in the house. A minor run in with Kennel Cough and a poopy problem... just wondering what's next down the line?

I suppose I should start expecting teething troubles soon. Do you think frozen washcloths/kongs or a chilly bone will help with that or is there something else I should consider getting for my spoiled little pup?

Speaking of litte... wow... he is SOOO NOT little! 35lbs last week, who knows, he's probably 37-38 now but he looks all muscle to me. I'm wondering if we should start phasing out his lunch meal... I doubt he'll "tell us" as he seems to be a vaccuum for food anytime anywhere anything.

When do I get my rebelious teenager?
    ~Lindsay

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 4 months old... what's next?

You could get your 'rebellious teenager' any time between 6-18 months, give or take. It depends on the individual. Some are worse than other when going through the 'teenage' phase. You'll just have to wait and see.

As for dropping the third meal, I'm not sure. Did your breeder leave you with guidelines?

Oooh...just wait Lindsay. : *Beau was 65lbs at 4 months and he only eats 2 times a day....they grow so fast. I don't know if I would change his eating habits...sometimes Beau won't eat all his dinner (believe it or not) but he seems to regulate himself.

I like the frozen wash cloths for Beau. *I also bought him the "rope" toys. *It seems that when his molars came in the back came in and then he really chewed on the middle ones. *Of course he thought that sticks suited him very well too :. *Then wait til you find a tooth...I have one saved in his keepsake bag!! ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ooops....65 lbs at 5 months not 4!! That would be insane!

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Holy COW!!! 65 lbs at 4 months?!!! Ay yi yi! (HEE HEEE... just saw your corrections... STILL.. that's a big puppy... how big is he now?)

I can't stand the stick chewing!!! When we go out I'm constantly taking them away from him... he's learned "drop" pretty well but only if I have the leash on him and he KNOWS I can just reach over and take it out.

So other than teething... is there anything else I really need to watch out for?

It's teenager phase when they also have that fear period right?
    ~Lindsay

Jack is now in the teenage phase ( he is 11 months and 93 pounds he grow overnight it felt like )and he just started a fear period. I posted on this site and they told me not to make a big deal of it when he gets scared and try to redirect his attention to something else.

But make sure you load up on teething toys lots of nylabones and chewy toys
    frozen knogs worked for us and I would always have a toy/nyla in my back pocket for him to chew instead of my hands,clothing and ankles. Jack really liked the ones shaped like keys and puzzle pcs.

I also noticed in this phase they TEST YOU BIG TIME they try to get away with things they know are wrong ( like taking the guest towels off the rack and running away with them ) and when you tell him LEAVE IT sometimes he looks back like to say "who me" and keeps running with the tail wagging for joy

BE CONSISTENT !!!

HAVE FUN* AND REMEMBER TO LAUGH OR YOU WILL GO NUTS* ;D
    I'LL HAVE TO THINK OF MORE I'LL LET YOU KNOW

???I am not sure what he weighs...I need to stop by the vets office and get him weighed again.

Beau last weekend with Bailey

Beau gets a bit skittish with loud *and different noises, but has not had any real fear issues. *He has always been a bit shy with new people but he warms up quickly.

As far as the stick thing....I keep picking them up from the yard....he keeps finding new ones to chew....and leave it is not one of his favorite things to do. *He doesn't usually go for them when we are out walking on or off leash.

"What to watch for".....from my experiance....watch your socks!!!! :Beau loves them....he will search them out...clean or dirty...laundry basket/suitcase...that drawer left a bit open...then look out!!* The race is on...Jacks mom is right about the testing!!!

Seriously, I do not think I have hit the teenage years and rebellion yet.

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Oh dear, CoCo is 16 weeks today and weighed in at a whopping 21lbs! Not bad considering at 8 weeks she was only 6lbs.

I'm very interested in what to expect after 4 months as well!

~Jo & CoCo

We had guidelines from our breeder, and vet, for cutting down to 2 meals a day; can't remember when it was though...your vet can advise ya.

The Chilly Bone, frozen wet washcloths (when wet, you can just wring 'em in your hand, leave 'em like that and throw in the freezer), and frozen carrots and such are good for teething.

Tucker went through a short fear period about 5 mos. (?), where sudden noises would startle him at times (not now though); I'd just act as though it were natural, and take him to what caused the noise.

Our puppy nipping > stopped, suddenly, about 5 mos., when the baby teeth were gone...whew!

I just continued with his learning, which for the most part went smoothly. All dogs are different..but ours has always been so calm and laid-back, everything was pretty easy with him. He still tried to jump on people, so had to work hard on that.

Probably 6-7 mos. was when he learned to open the hamper and take off with our socks and undies...that's a neat trick he still does. But now, he brazenly walks right up to me with 'em in his mouth, just lookin' at me..... ;D

I read JL before we ever got our pup, and I'd read about rebellion, teenage time, and other problems. Not everybody's gonna have the same problems or issues with their dogs....and I haven't had any teenage rebellion, whatever that is. He continues to be just very calm and laid-back.

If the worst he does is take off with socks and dish towels, hey, I don't care.

Mine's on the larger size, and weighs about 95 lbs. now at 1 year. We watch his weight.

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

I am glad you asked this question Ender's mom!! Buck is 4 months old now too...But not to hijack your posting or anything...I had a quick question...Buck suddenly stopped wanting to go on walks...he refuses to leave our yard...I carry him out to the street walk about 10ft and then put him down and he walks a few feet sits down then turns around and tries to head home...is that some kind of fear thing? it seems to have developed over night..he used to love his walks before...

<3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast