Anyone do their own obeidence training
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone do their own obeidence training

DefaultAnyone do their own obeidence training

I know you can do it at home but are there any of you who didnt go to classes? Just did it on your own at home?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Anyone do their own obeidence training

We are going to classes for the sole purpose of having an environment to teach Ender where there are distractions. We are "ahead" of our puppy k class by about 2 weeks as far as commands covered but teaching something in a home or yard needs to be taught also in a place where there are plenty of other distractions... either in a class... or elsewhere. This was my main reason for doing the puppy k class, as well as I wanted to get used to training in a class because I plan on doing more with Ender than just basic obedience.
    ~Lindsay

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Sure you can, but I would go to training classes anyway if only for the socialization which is ESSENTIAL. There is no better place to socialize a pup with other dogs than at puppy class. Even if you gain absolutely nothing from the classes, at the very least you are working on social skills.

I prefer the atmosphere/support of classes. Even if you think you know everything about training at each session you learn a little more. And, of course, you get to indulge in all things puppy for an hour or so! its always nice to talk to other dog-minded folk. *

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Not only that, but I find our obed classes a hell of a lot of fun. The people there are great, we laugh, we celebrate, we support each other thru thick-n-thin.

Wesley and I have been 'training' in classes for 5.5 yrs now. I came when he was 6 months old and never left. SU calls it our 'Boys Night Out.' ;D

I have been training at home now for about a month. This is my first really young puppy, but so far so good. I work with him for about an hour a day (not all together, but total) I do about 15 mins in the am before work, and more when I get home. Dash is about 4 months now and he knows these commands...Sit, Shake, No Bark, No Bite (60% of the time), Wait, Water, Bathroom Outside, Crate (hes not too fond of this word ) Lay Down, and he knows my other dogs name "domino"... I really dont have the schedule for taking him to classes, for I have college classes and work myself, but I have taught all my others dogs from home as well, and Id say they have all grown up just fine!

Im only asking because my fiance works til like 5 or 6 at night and i dont drive at the moment. so it would be hard to get to these classes. I would like to do our training at home and there are so many people around us with other dogs i can bring him around once he has learned to obey without having distractions. Am i right?

Dani is offline Senior Member

Most classes are at night, like at 7 or 8...and I would recommend you both going...but you still have to practice at home.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

It took us FOREVER to find a class that accomodates our schedule (I don't drive either)... and we finally found one for Tuesday nights at 8:10 pm! I really do think it's worth it.
    ~Lindsay

See thats just it. My 15 month old daughter goes to bed at like 8 LOL and she is the pickiest sleeper she will not sleep anywhere but her crib at home.. and the only ones i trust to stay with her is her great grandpop and he lives like 30 minutes away from us.. thats why i wanted to know about training at home.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I will do some of my own obedience training but plan on doing the obedience school thing for a couple of reasons. First, like others have said it is a good way to further socialize your dog and train him with distractions around. Second, by meeting other dog owners, not only do you have a support group but also people who share your love of dogs and might be able to direct you to good resources.

If you cannot work out the logistics, then training at home could work. But I'd suggest you enroll in obedience school if you can. Good luck....and keep us posted on how it goes whichever way you decide to go!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast